Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for your rat to constantly smell like rat pee? Khloe sleeps in the corner that she poops/pees in. I thought rats didn't like to sleep near their messes? Her cage is large enough to where she can go in a corner and have room to get away from it. I'm not complaining, I just think it's odd, and the smell is also slightly distasteful when I'm playing with her.

Should I give her a bath? She's about seven weeks old and on the small side; is that too young for a bath? And how often can you give them baths if they smell like pee all the time?

Would getting her a friend help, so someone is around to groom her? I was planning on getting her a friend, anyway... as soon as the current batch of babies where I work are old enough to be weaned. I'm also in the process of saving up to get a larger cage.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can clean your rats with baby wipes. I use a type from the natural foods store. And yes, get another rattie, she'll be so happy to have a friend!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Definately get her a friend - just to keep her happy. :D

It sounds like you have little girl who's favourite shampoo is eau de pee-pee! It's not uncommon for rats to marinate in their dirty spots - I guess they're not as bound by social no-nos as we are lol.

If she poops/pees in one specific corner, perhaps try changing the litter in that corner once a day? I would suggest litter training - but am unsure whether it would be possible in one so young. Maybe though, it's another idea for you

Giving her a bath would be ok every now and again - althugh it won't be a solution to the problem. I use baby shampoo in an inch or so of water to clean my rats when they really need it - but they rarely need bathing. You shouldn't bathe them too often at all as it can dry their fur/skin out

·
Registered
126 Posts
dkirschling said:
You can clean your rats with baby wipes.
Wait, you're not supposed to bathe them? I thought tubtime is okay, so as long as it's stressfree??? I'm just wondering if I shouldn't be doing this, as piggy sits quietly in the tub with them...She's taught them that bathtime can be stressfree....

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
rach913 said:
dkirschling said:
You can clean your rats with baby wipes.
Wait, you're not supposed to bathe them? I thought tubtime is okay, so as long as it's stressfree??? I'm just wondering if I shouldn't be doing this, as piggy sits quietly in the tub with them...She's taught them that bathtime can be stressfree....
Bath time is fine, as long as you don't give baths in excess. The odd bath is ok. Also, as long as you use the correct shampoos and, like you say, keep it as stress free as possible, there isn't a problem with bathing.

Lots of people bathe their rats, where as some prefer baby wipes (I only use baby wipes on my nakies as it's moisturising too). It's personal preference, but neither are too good if used too often :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Did she come from a filthy place that prevented her from choosing a clean place to sleep? This is also the problem with puppies from a puppy mill; hard to house break.
try to make her pee/poo corner uncomfortable to sleep in and provide soft bedding in another area of her cage.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ration1802 said:
Definately get her a friend - just to keep her happy. :D

It sounds like you have little girl who's favourite shampoo is eau de pee-pee! It's not uncommon for rats to marinate in their dirty spots - I guess they're not as bound by social no-nos as we are lol.

If she poops/pees in one specific corner, perhaps try changing the litter in that corner once a day? I would suggest litter training - but am unsure whether it would be possible in one so young. Maybe though, it's another idea for you

Giving her a bath would be ok every now and again - althugh it won't be a solution to the problem. I use baby shampoo in an inch or so of water to clean my rats when they really need it - but they rarely need bathing. You shouldn't bathe them too often at all as it can dry their fur/skin out
I'll try litter training. Thanks. :>

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
begoodtoanimals said:
Did she come from a filthy place that prevented her from choosing a clean place to sleep? This is also the problem with puppies from a puppy mill; hard to house break.
try to make her pee/poo corner uncomfortable to sleep in and provide soft bedding in another area of her cage.
Yes, she did. *sigh* From where I work. :( I won't go into detail, but I hate where I work. It'd be hard for me to work anywhere else though and be able to afford having three dogs (I get dog food for free). Until I can find a job that pays better, I'm stuck there.

I talked my boyfriend into a rat because I was tired of playing with the babies and never being able to own one. Now that he's okay with Khloe, I want to get her a friend so she won't be lonely.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Then it will help you and your other rat to get one that you know will keep itself clean. otherwise you have twice the mess. She might join the clean one in a real bed. keep us posted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
begoodtoanimals said:
Then it will help you and your other rat to get one that you know will keep itself clean. otherwise you have twice the mess. She might join the clean one in a real bed. keep us posted.
It's not really a big problem. She can smell like pee. It doesn't smell horrible. I just don't want her smelling like that all the time.

As someone mentioned above, I'm going to try litter box training and see where that gets me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My rat does that too. It's not a huge problem, just get used to the smell and metbe try wipes or litter training! Good Luck! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts