Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate this. Someone is going to get rats and they say is this cage OK for now. If you don't have rats yet then do some actual research and get a better cage before you get rats. Not after. You don't even have them yet. I saw this on another forum and needed to rant! As a side note it isn't that hard to do basic research. My cousin who is 12 looked up hamsters because she wanted one and in a matter of one day found out that they needed food with minimal corn and a cage that is at least 360 square inches. And she is 12. Information is not that hard to come by people.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think the epitome of idiocy when it came to appropriate cage size was while I was shopping at petco. A woman came in and asked to look at the ferrets. After choosing one she went and picked up a round hamster cage with a 12" diameter and said she was going to keep the ferret in it. When she was told it was too small she went on to complain that she didn't want to spend more than $50 on a cage. The man refused to let her have the animal and when she asked to see a manager he replied calmly "I am the manager" and I nodded. If the woman hadn't been standing right there I would've done a fist pump. That woman shouldn't have even considered that cage in the first place! How stupid do you have to be to think you can put a full grown ferret in a small hamster cage?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I really do not understand that reasoning either. Well I am going to get this pet even though I am in no way prepared for it!

What?? Like seriously just wait. Save up the money, get the proper cage, THEN get the rats.

Who does it the other way around and thinks that is a good idea? lol It is so absurd.

I can even understand that impulse buy and listening to the pet store employees. But it is really frustrating when someone KNOWS better and doesn't even try.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah impulse buy are bad and I admit I have done them but with guinea pigs, but if you know better and still go to get them it isn't right.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I admit that I got my first rat as semi-impulse buy. But my 'for now' cage was suitable for up to 5 rats. Within a month, I got the DCN. I don't understand why anyone would even consider a cage that small. And ferrets aren't cheap. You'd think a shallow person would at least have the sense to properly care for their 'investment'.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Some people just shouldn't own animals. That's all I can say.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
People buy pets on impulse in pet stores all the time. Worse, some people do a little research and learn that pet store pets come from horrible places called pet mills, are often sick, have bad genetics, have behavioral problems...but still go ahead for some instant gratification...So that they don't do proper research about the cage or food is totally expected.

·
Registered
860 Posts
People buy pets on impulse in pet stores all the time. Worse, some people do a little research and learn that pet store pets come from horrible places called pet mills, are often sick, have bad genetics, have behavioral problems...but still go ahead for some instant gratification...So that they don't do proper research about the cage or food is totally expected.
I guess I got lucky!;D

All my rats seem to be pretty healthy. All of them are now showing me lots of love and attention. I did have to work with one of them extensively, but I'm really happy to say she has come a long way. She kisses me sits on me and asks for treats. Enjoys petting.

But........I can't say that they are not inferior health wise...........yet. I've only had them for a few months now. Only time will tell.

Hm. I always have been the odd ball pet owner though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope my friends tell me that when I turn 70 I am going to be the old lady with 60 cats.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Nope my friends tell me that when I turn 70 I am going to be the old lady with 60 cats.
Eww, cats.

I had one of those "for now" cages. It is a Rat Manor, and I got it over a CN because I didn't want to spend over $50 on a cage when I (A) didn't know if I was going to like having rats and (B) knew that I could put the money I didn't spend on the cage towards really cool toys and good food.

Needless to say, I now have a DFN, CN, RM, RUUD, Living World Deluxe XL rabbit cage, and a collective and varying total of six rats. So I kind of like them. :D

But a ferret in a hamster cage? Good grief! I don't even think it would fit in the cage? Like stuffing a St. Bernard in a cat carrier.

·
Registered
908 Posts
When I first got into rats I bought them at the petstore, but that was because there were no rescues and no breeders near me. I also started out with an under $50 cage... but I scourged online sales and got the rat manor for just under $50 and knew that it was an appropriate size for the number of rats I had. I went on to get another cage for under $50 off ebay that I considered myself quite lucky to find at such a low price. But again, the cage was appropriately sized.

Your post truly shows why we will never end people abandoning pets and pets being put in shelters and rescues. People just don't put thought into their care and what it entails to own them. Whenever I talk with people about any of my pets (rats, geckos, snakes, skinks, etc.) I try to give them the positives but also the negatives... the time and $$ it takes to take care of them properly so that they are informed about what they might be getting into.

It's great that your manager at the petco would not sell the ferret to the lady. I know of managers that would without any scruples and just see the $$$ and not care about the animal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts