Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I made a paper mâché dome for them with newspaper and they chewed it , would it be bad for their health ? They will just chew it ,not eat it right ? I don't really have any white paper I'm allowed to use since its expensive and my mom won't let me.

· Registered
8,527 Posts
Any paper with ink must use soy-based ink to be safe. It's not an issue of the paper bein eaten but the ink being dissolved by saliva(or urine or water ) and hence accidentally digested.

· Registered
953 Posts
I use newspaper as a cage enrichment thing and have had no problems. I'm on the parrot forums and many use it for the floor of the cages and birds love to rip it up. Parrots/birds are very sensitive to ...well everything. The web would be full of articles of dead pet birds if they were that dangerous..at least imo. I don't use teflon because of the conure, or fabreeze or a lot of other normal household cleaners. Of course I don't fill their cage with newspaper, but if I have some I'll put some in for them to tear up and make into a nest.

· Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It depends on where you are based and on the ink used. Here in the UK all newspapers are printed using none toxic inks so its nothing to worry about. I'm sure there are several printers in the US that are the same. Saying that if they get hold of a tiny amount it is unlikley to do them any harm, but i would avoid putting it in there cage if your not sure. You should be able to email to newspaper to find out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.