Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ok if my rat chews on the bars on its cage? she does it a lot and it keeps me up at night.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I don't use wood blocks but my rats do have wooden toys to chew on. A bird perch and a dangling bird toy, and they had another dangling bird toy but that's been reduced to a small metal bar with a bell hanging from it XD and they make short work of their plastics, too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dont quote me on this:
I think Pine and Cedar are the 2 that are not safe for rats, you can go to petsmart, they have rat safe wood chewes there....lol if this question were directed towards Gliders, I would be able to tell you exactly.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Sugar glider, a... marsupial methinks? But she's right.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Are there any toys or other stimulation in the cage? She may be bored. Something wood to chew on is great, as is other stimulating things. Cardboard boxes, toilet paper tubes with treats inside, and then folded up like a "present", hanging bird toys, cat/ping pong balls, crumpled up pieces of paper, and other such things may help.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I had a rat that used to chew on the bars all the time. I suspect she may have been bored, as Kimmiekins suggested. When I got a bigger cage she stopped doing it entirely.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can make her a "ratty pinata"

lay 3-5 sheets of paper on top of each other, put a pile of yummie treats and things in the middle, pull all of the sides up and tie with a rope, or piece of fleece and hang in the cage where she can just barley reach it with her paws...it keeps my guy busy all night!

i'll find the link and post it in a minute.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here is the link.. has alot of fun things that can entertain boring nights lol

Dapper Rat Fun Pages

Off Topic: Yes, Sugar Gliders are marsupials, and great little animals. I have 10 Furry Flying Fuzzballs here :D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
oh my gosh ten? don't they require even more room than rats? how many rats do you have as well?

that ratty fun page is awesome, by the way. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
YES they require more room. I have 5 glider cages, all above 4.5 feet tall and 3 feet wide. They take alot more than rats do, diet, space, toys and such. My oldest glider is 4 years, my very first one, a little boy, Scooter. And much like rats, once you have one....you MUST have more lol. I used to "hobby" breed them :D 9 babies in total (most in great homes, some still here)

I have 4 rats, 3 boys and 1 girl (Two 11 month olds, One 6-7 week and One 7-8 week old)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I just looked on that rat thing about rat toys ect - i just used a unused bandanna and made a lil rat rope and it guards the door to the cage to :)

I also got a webcam box - took out the paper took of the clear plastic that lets u see the webcam on display so there was a nice built in hole - filled the box with 2 types of my ratties bedding put it in there ..now ratatouille is exploring it :D
Jess x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts