Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through a building recyclers warehouse today and came across a large amount of hardened plastic tubing that had been used for water pipes in a house that had been knocked down. It had all been cleaned, but being unsure as to the cleaning agents used and the safety of such things I thought it better to ask if such a thing would be safe for rats? They had a wide selection of bits - corner pieces, T-junctions, and wiggly snake-like tubes too, the sort of stuff that you could imagine rats absolutely loving. The wholesale hardware shop has quite a bit of new and unused tubes made from similar material too - would it be safe to grab a couple?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check the diameter, if your rats could easily make a full circle in them, sure! I have a few in my rats cage (covered in a fleece liner) and some in the playroom with holes cut in them so they have windows.

Sand down any rough edges (if you can't get them smooth, just use a lighter to "melt" the edges a little) and soak in near-boiling water with an antibacterial soap, scrub hard, then air dry indoors. To be extra safe, wash a second time with a cage/hutch cleaner. I believe you're talking about PVC piping (at least that's what mine are) and although my rats don't chew on them, I've heard of some rats chewing on the pipes with no health issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts