Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zeus is 5 weeks old and I have noticed that he has some patches of hair missing and barley any hair on his belly, his is healthy as can be and they is no scabs and no scratching. The 1st photo is him at 4 weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Definitely not a double rex, but I'm unsure of what would cause him to lose fur like that. One of my boys got patchy around his bum when he was that age and grew out of it when his adult fur came in. Perhaps your guy will do the same.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
We have a silky (powder puff type) rex, who lost a patch of hair on her neck when she was 7 months old, it fell out and grew back a few times before it just stayed full... We treated her for mites just in case, but most likely it was her super thin hair that just fell out. If he isn't scratching, I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy the novelty.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Straight whiskers, straight coat!

I've heard that this can happen to hand raised babies around that age.. He could also just be moulting. Rats are weird.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Actually, Smilebud you're right, straight whiskers = straight coat!... We've had two straight haired rats with super soft fur, and yes it's a bit thinner than normal, but no I've never seen a straight haired rat that bald before. Our new girl Misty (also about 5 weeks old) has that super soft straight fur and is growing out of her blue baby fur and growing into her tan adult fur, she's oddly turning the color of 1990's General Motor's upholstery... You know the color that was intended to match every paint job, but it actually looks thicker because she still has both coats overlaid and we gave her a bath the other day so what would have fallen out has...

It's likely no cause for panic... but it isn't "normal" either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts