Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Our cages are 24 x 24 x 12 and I'm told that they are only big enough for 2 rats. That one is a little smaller, so I would think it would be pushing it... I may be wrong, though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Definatly not. I would use that cage at most as a QT cage. A good rule of thumb for cage space is that every rat should have 2.5 to two cubic feet but more than that is fine as well. If you like the Coast cages, they're largest rat cage is suitable for 3 rats.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you did get it you should probably take the wire wheel out, too. Rats are prone to catching their tails in between the wire bars as they run. Would be very painful for your rattie :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
My one cage is 24 x 18 x 18 and it jsut fits 2 rats.
My other is 30 x 18 x 60 it hold 9-11.

That cage is stoo small for 2 rats, let alone three.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. We did take the wheel out lol I said that in the beginning.

We do have two rats in that cage but.. does anyone have any ideas for building onto it? It only has a door in the front (unlike Jennie's cool one where the door was on top and she could build up from there). I really would love to get more rats but yeah this cage is too small for more than two I guess.
Has anyone built onto a cage similar to this or has seen pictures of something like it? Looking for any ideas.
This isn't necessarily an immediate thing but I would like to buy more rats in the future.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
get another one or more of the same model and put it on top. make your own hole with wire cutters and a bit of wiggling (cut the wire in the middle then wiggle back and forth while holding firmly the cross section-if you don't hold it could snap off further down). decorate and enjoy! or invest in a larger cage. i really enjoy my hagen chinchilla cages (two attached on top of on another (in 2-3 weeks i'll have a 3rd level! SQUEEEEEEEEEeee! -so excited-)) there's much more room to play with and new a cage will cost only about 100 CDN. but they're popular too so you can probably find someone selling there's for cheaper as well if you look around enough.

you could probably just move the wheel to the bottom level too, that way they still have a bit of space but a toy as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts