Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought two boys on January 20th 2021, from an owner, who estimated their age to be seven weeks old. If it clarifies any behaviour, he said they were born around the same day but didn't specify if they are from two separate litters or have the same parents.
They got on well as cage mates until recently. They are coming up to their four&1/2 month age mark. I have two much older females who they have been around when they're not in heat as well as in heat, and they have all mated but have no rittens. The boys no longer spend any time with the girls, or each other, without problems. To note which is which, Ozzy is a black saddled dumbo ear, and Fiddles is a brown rex, fancy ear. After noticing Ozzy and Fiddles behaviour in their cage changed negatively, with Ozzy having pinned Fiddles frequently (whenever Ozzy wasn't sleeping), I separated Fiddles into a temporary cage, and with that break away from Ozzy, Fiddles became afraid of Ozzy's presence - vocalising incessantly even from inside his cage, and he did this with good reason. Ozzy no longer acts nicely towards Fiddles, chasing him around the room during free roam time to claw and bite him incessantly, and ripping the heavy blanket I have over Fiddles' cage in order to terrorise Fiddles in his own **** home. When I fix the blanket, Ozzy will follow my hand and bite it like a cat does when it's telling you not to touch it in a certain way because it's uncomfortable - like a lockjaw hold without aiming to hurt or draw blood, except that since two days ago, Ozzy has drawn blood from me from biting or scratching my hand and arm in exactly that cat-like way. I honestly think it's not intentional for Ozzy to hurt me or draw my blood - I think his intentions are to do that to Fiddles, but as I don't move my limb away when I'm undoing what he's trying to do and then biting me for it, he has now been drawing blood. He's definitely on-the-prowl seemingly 24/7 these days, always rubbing his skin oil everywhere as he's wandering around and trying to be with my girls. I had been planning for Ozzy and Fiddles to be neutered at six months old, but I think sooner as possible is best in this case.
I know well that the technique recommended to get between a rat and something or someone else, involves strictly limiting access to people's bodies, yet I don't bother and I wear t-shirts and in the photo added to this Post, you can see tonight's result from the first twenty minutes of free roam time with Ozzy and Fiddles both out of their cages, as well as Ozzy's destruction while Fiddles was locked in his cage.
Is this behaviour a bit much,
even for Ozzy having to constantly adjust to his surging hormones?

Although this bite bled a lot for its size, it is actually a tiny surface wound.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I would say you should get him fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts