Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just concerned about residual fish chemicals in the ten.....and at what point should I separate her from her current cage mates and at what point do you serve the genders and when can you tell the genders?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Take the tank and wash it with hot water and white vinegar, really scrub it. Then dry with a towel and let it air out for about fifteen minutes. Go get some carefresh, or an off brand, for nesting material; fleece works well too. Start her on a high protein diet, eggs are good as is liver, I use beef liver fried in olive oil. Don't put any hidey boxes in the tank, she's new and in unfamiliar territory and if given a hidey box she will more than likely defend it, and you don't want that as it'll be difficult to monitor her and the pups. Get a mesh lid for the tank and cage clips, you don't want her escaping!
I would invest in some infant soy formula and a tiny paintbrush just incase mummy can't or won't feed them.
Once the pups are born you need to only handle them once in the first 24 hours and that's only to check for milk bands and remove any dead if there are any. After 24 hours is up start handling them every day for no more than five minutes at a time. If mummy is defensive try to lure her out with some yogurt on a spoon or something equally yummy. As they grow you can handle them for longer stretches and you can also let mummy out for free range, but no longer than 15-20 minutes while the pups are still hairless. Once they've got their peachfuzz you can let her out for longer stretches at a time.

If you have any issues or questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Just concerned about residual fish chemicals in the ten.....and at what point should I separate her from her current cage mates and at what point do you serve the genders and when can you tell the genders?
The white vinegar wash will get rid of the fish chems. She looks rather far along so you could put her in it now or in the next day or so, she should be nesting like crazy. At 19 days old you will be able to tell boys from girls without a doubt but we can sex them for you while they're still jelly beans :) you need to seperate boys from girls at 4-5 weeks, I did mine at 4 weeks but as long as they're separated before 6 weeks everything will be fine.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welll......i hope I can make it to Walmart tomorrow.....maybe my roommates have some vinegar.....i bet I could shred a bunch of fleece for bedding til I can make it to the store.....eggs? Cooked or raw? Cooked?...I'll have to go get one I have mesh type lid just got find the rest of the pieces (didn't need them for a hospital fish tank

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Scramble an egg, no salt or pepper! Shredded fleece, or large bits of it, works well as nesting material too so if you're strapped for cash like the rest of us the fleece will work. I would also buy some cans of wet dog or cat food that's high in protein, You can usually get these for like 45 cents or something in that price range. The cage clips shouldn't be too much, no more than a few dollars, and a small bottle of white vinegar isn't too much either.
You can feed her normal lab blocks with a little of the wet food, I'm sure she would enjoy that. If you can't get the infant formula, kitten milk replacement will work too. Once she has the pups you can give her some of the formula too as it'll help her regain her strength and help bulk her up a bit.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.