Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first girl, Astrid, has been acting very very strange for the past week or so. I originally had to move her to her own bin because her sisters were bullying her, but now I'm noticing that she's just not acting right. She has a buildup of porphyria (sp?) around her eyes (which I've been dabbing with water, though the stuff is too dry to get much off) and nose. But what worries me the most is that shes very disoriented. At first it wasn't anything too bad, but its gotten worse. Before, she would just fall on her side when she stood upright (like to groom herself), but now shes walking very very wobbly, falling on her sides, and struggling to walk around. Shes also been real lethargic and shes been bruxing (which I have never heard her do before). I have no idea what to do, and I don't want to take her to the vet just so they can tell me "She's old", which I already know.

I need some help ???

·
Registered
624 Posts
It sounds like she might have an ear infection. Honestly, the vet sounds like a good idea at this point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like she might have an ear infection. Honestly, the vet sounds like a good idea at this point.
Yeah, I agree. I just don't trust most vets because they mostly see dogs and cats, y'know? But I'm going to try to make an appointment and hopefully they'll know what's wrong.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I just don't trust most vets because they mostly see dogs and cats, y'know? But I'm going to try to make an appointment and hopefully they'll know what's wrong.
Yeah, I'm sorry love. There's not many vets around here either that know their rat knowledge. :( Best of luck to you and I hope your rattie feels a lot better soon!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm sorry love. There's not many vets around here either that know their rat knowledge. :( Best of luck to you and I hope your rattie feels a lot better soon!)
I took Astrid to the vet on the 17th, and the vet gave me some medicine, saying that we should treat it as an inner ear infection (and that if the medicine didn't help, then it would be best to put her to sleep because of how badly she was doing). When I got home I gave her her first dose of the medicine and I wrapped her in a blanket and cuddled with her. I was kinda nodding off, and when I woke up she was really still and breathing really quickly. Soon after she died. ;( I've been really torn up, she was my first rattie...

·
Registered
624 Posts
I took Astrid to the vet on the 17th, and the vet gave me some medicine, saying that we should treat it as an inner ear infection (and that if the medicine didn't help, then it would be best to put her to sleep because of how badly she was doing). When I got home I gave her her first dose of the medicine and I wrapped her in a blanket and cuddled with her. I was kinda nodding off, and when I woke up she was really still and breathing really quickly. Soon after she died. ;( I've been really torn up, she was my first rattie...
:( I'm so sorry to hear that. You did all that you could, love. You gave her a wonderful life and at least she passed in your arms where she loved to be the most.

Rest In Peace, Astrid.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm so sorry. You did everything you could. In all honesty, it could have been a pituitary tumor, in which case, there was nothing that could be done anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so sorry. You did everything you could. In all honesty, it could have been a pituitary tumor, in which case, there was nothing that could be done anyway.
That was one of my suspicions, but if it was some kind of tumor it was hidden (she had no visible swelling or bumps, and the vet said she didn't feel any suspicious lumps when she was examining her). I think it was something neurological, something that was out of our hands, y'know? Its just sad because last month I had a leopard gecko just randomly lose all mobility for some mysterious reason and I eventually had to put him to sleep, so its weird that there weren't any obvious signs with either of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:( I'm so sorry to hear that. You did all that you could, love. You gave her a wonderful life and at least she passed in your arms where she loved to be the most.

Rest In Peace, Astrid.
Thank-you. I'm happy that I was cuddling with her, because that was my regret with past pets who've passed away (not being there for them when it happened). I think she knew that it was her time because of the way she was bruxing and cuddling up to my neck. I miss her, she was my little chunk :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
thank-you. I'm happy that i was cuddling with her, because that was my regret with past pets who've passed away (not being there for them when it happened). I think she knew that it was her time because of the way she was bruxing and cuddling up to my neck. I miss her, she was my little chunk :)
:c <3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts