Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's the situation. I got my two little girls two days ago. The employee I talked to said that he handled the rats everyday he worked, and seemed to really care fore them. The first day I brought them home, and I left them alone and let them adjust to their new cage. The next day I started putting my hand in the cage to let them sniff it. This is when I started getting a little concerned because one of the girls, named Tex, would come up to sniff my hand and then kept attempting to bite it. I don't think it is fear because she would actually come to me. Then today I started offering them stuff like fruit on the palm of my hand. At this point I had the back of my hand flat on the cage floor with the food in my palm. Tex actually came up and bit the side of my pointer finger, close to the knuckle. It was kind of hard. It only drew a tiny pin prick of blood. I'm confused as to why she would do this?? The other girl is great. Doesn't nip at all and is way more timid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm. Well there are different types of biting. If it's a gentler bite, they might just be "tasting" you to see what you're like. However, since you said you drew blood that's probably not it. I would recommend opening up their cage and letting them come to you. That way they can take it at their own pace and if they start biting, immediately put them away. That way they'll learn that when they bite, they don't get anymore playtime. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, in this case I did let her come to me, and that's when she bit me. However, I've decided it probably wasn't on purpose. It was more of a little pinch. I think she was going for the treat and was too hasty and missed. It actually wasn't a very hard bite. It didn't even draw blood on one side and the other I had to look close to see the tiny drop of blood. I don't think she meant it aggressively. She is just a baby so maybe she is just learning, but I'm a first time rat owner, so I really don't know.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Sometimes it can be hard to tell a bite from another rat mouth approach. Rats groom by nibbling the surface of your skin, sometimes they will mouth you as well. My two boys mouth my fingers several times every play session. I wouldn't cage a rat for biting. It just teaches them to bite to avoid being handled, and when they are new with you, they don't know that being handled will be enjoyable yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts