Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently one of two of my female rats passed away. The remaining rat Etzy seems to be doing okay except she's eating like crazy. Nonstop. She's always had food available and even though the other rat was always a little chubbier they both got their fair share. I know usually rats stop waking when there depressed but could this be a symptom. I don't know if I should get another rat either.. Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this happen to my second female (Oreo) I had she was a baby and I put here in with my older female (Tootsie) she challenged her but she got put in here place and began to adore Tootsie and when she died she didn't eat etc. pretty much pinning away for Tootsie I got another female and that seemed to help even though they were both in separate cages but she starting eating and drinking again give it a try..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking into getting her a companion. Hopefully her eating normalizes soon I love the little fur ball to death.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Yes, I've seen rats eat when depressed... Rats brains are very much like ours and very often their behaviors have similar meanings to what you might see in a human going through the same experience. Try to be with her as much as you can, and if possible a new friend may help her feel a little better sooner.

Best luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts