Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Binx, War, and Peace!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male rat, Binx, is around 1 and a half years old. I'm not sure exactly but I got him september of 2021 and they said he was a couple months old. He has never had any illnesses or problems until now. He's my first rat so I'm not too sure on their behaviours as they age. Lately, for the past week or so, he has been v lethargic, usually sleeping all day, only to get up to eat and drink. He's also been v wobbly and like shaky or jittery? He moves slower and has less balance and will fall off of things he doesn't have a good standing on. He's been slightly colder as well as he's been losing weight, he doesn't seem to be eating as much but will still eagerly accept when I offer him his favorite treats. I haven't noticed his grooming habits change but I'm sure they have been slightly less since he's been so lethargic lately. Is he dying? Is there any way to tell how long he has left? Or any way to help him be more healthy or comfortable?

· Registered
Binx, War, and Peace!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is he now?
I just got back from an inpatient stay at the hospital. My sister has been watching him. She says his behavior hasn't changed much, she said he's been slightly less lethargic and a little less wobbly. She also said his eating habits haven't changed, he barely eats his pellet food but will still eagerly eat treats and soft food. The only thing that has changed is he's been wheezing and making a clicking noise. I am going to schedule a vet appointment soon as I can. I'm thinking maybe he has a respitory infection, does this sound right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts