Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this 10/11 week old hairless girl. She was housed with 3 boys before we got her, which was around a week ago. She has started to look very plump and when you look at her from above she looks pear shaped which google told me was a sign thar she was pregnant. But I'm really not sure.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
She certainly could be pregnant, since she is old enough and has been in with males.
They are pregnant for 21 - 24 days, and they usually start to show in the last week or so. Here is a link that could be helpful - its about setting up a birthing cage, which she will need if she if pregnant. I am not a breeder or anything, but our sister rats both had litters a while back after a mistake regarding genders.
BTW, I've heard that hairless rats can have issues with milk supply, but we've never owned them so not something we're familiar with. Maybe you might be able to google some info specifically for hairless rat pregnancy, or someone here on the forum might have experience. All the best - Keep us posted!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum.
She certainly could be pregnant, since she is old enough and has been in with males.
They are pregnant for 21 - 24 days, and they usually start to show in the last week or so. Here is a link that could be helpful - its about setting up a birthing cage, which she will need if she if pregnant. I am not a breeder or anything, but our sister rats both had litters a while back after a mistake regarding genders.
BTW, I've heard that hairless rats can have issues with milk supply, but we've never owned them so not something we're familiar with. Maybe you might be able to google some info specifically for hairless rat pregnancy, or someone here on the forum might have experience. All the best - Keep us posted!

Thank you so much. I do also have some photos of her belly. if that would help you to tell if she looks pregnant. I can post them if that would help ?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes, that would probably help to put up a photo. Its hard to definitely diagnose, especially if we don't know what she normally looks like, but I'm sure lots of us here on the forum will be happy to give our opinion!
Also, if you have digital kitchen scales, begin to weigh her daily. Pop a little plastic container on the scales, zero them, and gently place her in it. Keep a record of her weight and if she is pregnant you will begin to notice a phenomenal amount of weight gain daily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that would probably help to put up a photo. Its hard to definitely diagnose, especially if we don't know what she normally looks like, but I'm sure lots of us here on the forum will be happy to give our opinion!
Also, if you have digital kitchen scales, begin to weigh her daily. Pop a little plastic container on the scales, zero them, and gently place her in it. Keep a record of her weight and if she is pregnant you will begin to notice a phenomenal amount of weight gain daily.
Sorry some of the pictures are bad because she refuses to stop wiggling
The last picture is the day that i got her
Hand Gesture Finger Dog breed Fawn

Muscle Picture frame Gesture Finger Fawn

Ear Gesture Finger Fawn Thumb

Hair Leg Gesture Knee Elbow
Finger Gesture Thumb Nail Fawn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She definitely looks rounder than she used to.
I would give the daily weighing a go and see if there is a steady, daily increase in weight. 🐭
I did actually weigh her on the 13th and forgot I found it in my notes when I went to write down today's weight she was 230g. Today which Is the 18th she weighs 265g

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
LOL. Sounds a bit like babies to me, but keep up with the daily weigh-ins and if she's pregnant you'll see a pattern. (y)
She was gaining around 10g every day but I weighed her today and she had only gained 1g could this mean she lost the babies? She has also not really been eating anything except like 1 nut a day could she have lost body fat and gained weight from the babies at the same time because she visually looks a bit bigger. Or maybe I just weighed her wrong yesterday and I'm just being paranoid

·
Registered
RIP Biscuit, Bandit, Sage, Mink, & Shadow
477 Posts
She was gaining around 10g every day but I weighed her today and she had only gained 1g could this mean she lost the babies? She has also not really been eating anything except like 1 nut a day could she have lost body fat and gained weight from the babies at the same time because she visually looks a bit bigger. Or maybe I just weighed her wrong yesterday and I'm just being paranoid
She really needs to be eating more than that, especially if she's growing babies! Try some baby food, it's high calorie and most rats love it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She really needs to be eating more than that, especially if she's growing babies! Try some baby food, it's high calorie and most rats love it
Okay I'll try to find some. Would soy yogurt work as well because it is currently 3 am so I can't really go out and buy some baby food.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I reckon it could mean she is very close to having the babies. I have heard other people say on the forum that in the last 24-48 hours before birth the mother stopped eating, slept a LOT and stopped gaining weight. Its as if they are storing up reserves of energy before the big day. Can't remember whether ours did this or not.
If she shows any signs of ill health then I would seek veterinary advice though.
Here is a link about labour - when to be concerned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I reckon it could mean she is very close to having the babies. I have heard other people say on the forum that in the last 24-48 hours before birth the mother stopped eating, slept a LOT and stopped gaining weight. Its as if they are storing up reserves of energy before the big day. Can't remember whether ours did this or not.
If she shows any signs of ill health then I would seek veterinary advice though.

Thanks this has definitely made me less anxious ill keep you updated :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

She has gained around 11g since yesterday so I'm not worried anymore I think i might have just weighed her wrong the first time :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't have any experience with pregnant rats, but that's so exciting. Keep us posted!
Best of luck to you and mama rat! ❤
She has had her babies all 12 of them she had them around 3 days ago. from what I can see she is producing milk perfectly fine because they all have milk bellies but she is quite aggressive so I can get a close look. thank you everyone for your help :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi and congratulations on the babies!
Sounds like she is off to a great start with feeding them.
I was told that plain raw cashews are very good for milk production - we gave them to ours and never had any issues with milk supply. Not sure if it was the cashews or not!
Don't worry about the aggression. One of our females became very snappy after having babies. She would sort of go at me when I changed her water. But she was just being a good protective mother, and when the babies were a bit bigger she calmed right down. Now she is the best girl ever.
Would love to see pics!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi and congratulations on the babies!
Sounds like she is off to a great start with feeding them.
I was told that plain raw cashews are very good for milk production - we gave them to ours and never had any issues with milk supply. Not sure if it was the cashews or not!
Don't worry about the aggression. One of our females became very snappy after having babies. She would sort of go at me when I changed her water. But she was just being a good protective mother, and when the babies were a bit bigger she calmed right down. Now she is the best girl ever.
Would love to see pics!
We are down to 9. 2 we're missing and one was dead and today only 2 have milk bellies and I've tried to hand feed them but they refuse to eat it I have no clue what to do

1 - 20 of 25 Posts