Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My male rat weighs almost 400 grams currently, when I got him on Valentine's Day he was 225 grams. His body(nose to the base of his tail) is approximately 8 inches long, and his tail is another 7 inches. He eats all of the 15-20 grams of food that I give him every day. He doesn't appear skinny.
................................. But I thought that adult male rats were supposed to weigh 500-700 grams? Should I be worried?馃

Registered
If he's eating well, drinking a lot, and active I'd not worry. I have one rat that's just sort of that size though he's had a teeny bit of weight gain a year after he reached fully grown status. If however you can feel the spine very easily or he looks emaciated then maybe have him checked out. If you are very worried try some good fats like small bits of avocado, yogurt, or nuts. See if he puts on any weight that way

Super Moderator
He's probably just quite active, I wouldnt worry unless he puts on or loses weight strangely quickly, got a pic? :)

Different rats have different genetics, my current pair are a fair bit smaller than my last two

1 - 3 of 3 Posts