Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a All Living Things Multi-Level Cage. (Essentially the Critter nation) and I'm not quite sure how to decorate it. So after looking at lots of photos on here I've settled on this, But I'm looking towards getting some sturdy tunnels soon... I'm wondering if my current setup is enriching enough? I switch out some of the toys weekly (I have a whole bunch more on the bottom rack) It seems a bit empty but when I add more it seems crowded. :/ And my girls are very young and like climbing the bars and running around and play fighting.

I have a tour video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFSZi1Suntk&feature=youtu.be

and If you don't want to watch the full video I have pics here (of it freshly cleaned)
Room Play Furniture Toy Interior design Shade Net Vehicle Cage Room Play Games

I'm thinking of adding a dig box but my girls are litter trained and have switched litter a few times, will they think the dig box is a litter tray too? All help is appreciated, thank you!

Also their platforms aren't bare, the Ikea Borris mats are just the same color haha.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it looks extremely nice. The only thing I would want more of (if I was a rat, of course) is more baskets. My ratties can't seem to get enough baskets to lay in. Maybe consider going to walmart and getting .98 plastic Easter buckets? I bought one and cut a hole in it and put some fabric. By the way, how did you get your rats to run on a wheel!?!?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That looks really good! I tend to put more hiding spots and toys in my cage depending on how many rats I own and how old they are. I try to keep at least two hiding or sleeping spots for every rat I have. I have six rats, so that means I try and keep around 12 hiding and sleeping spaces. This is so that if one or more rats decide they want to sleep alone once in a while they have the chance to do so. I also try to keep a fair amount of toys in the cage depending on the age of my rats. I have some elderly rats, but I also have one spunky girl and a fairly young boy. I try and keep a few chew toys on both of the larger levels for them. For the more elderly rats I have some extra blankets that they can forage and put into their hammocks and hiding places as well as some lower-hanging, easier to get in to hammocks.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It looks pretty and colourful. Why not open it up to get them climbing more?

When I'm trying to get my cages enrichment right i look back to a list of natural ray behaviours. Then i tick off a few examples of each in each set up. This link might help you add there are a few that are missing such as digging there and some that aren't fully exploited such as different kinds of balancing and climbing

http://isamu.weebly.com/cage-enrichment.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it looks extremely nice. The only thing I would want more of (if I was a rat, of course) is more baskets. My ratties can't seem to get enough baskets to lay in. Maybe consider going to walmart and getting .98 plastic Easter buckets? I bought one and cut a hole in it and put some fabric. By the way, how did you get your rats to run on a wheel!?!?
Yea my rats love climbing in the basket, I think I will go pick up some more. :) Thank you!
I'm guessing you watched the video for the wheel haha. Most rats I hear don't llike the flying saucer but Mazie loves it. To get her to run on it I put it near the edge of the cage and when she tried to climb on it it'd throw her down, so she started doing it more and now she does it for fun. Clemmy didn't want anything to do with it though, I think it just depends on your rat's personality and preference. I hear people sometimes put treats on the wheel to show its a good thing, you may want to try that :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks really good! I tend to put more hiding spots and toys in my cage depending on how many rats I own and how old they are. I try to keep at least two hiding or sleeping spots for every rat I have. I have six rats, so that means I try and keep around 12 hiding and sleeping spaces. This is so that if one or more rats decide they want to sleep alone once in a while they have the chance to do so. I also try to keep a fair amount of toys in the cage depending on the age of my rats. I have some elderly rats, but I also have one spunky girl and a fairly young boy. I try and keep a few chew toys on both of the larger levels for them. For the more elderly rats I have some extra blankets that they can forage and put into their hammocks and hiding places as well as some lower-hanging, easier to get in to hammocks.
I have 3 hiding places, should I put a fourth one in? I have two extra hiding things out of the cage I could add in :) I also have some old sheets I could cut up and give for them to nest in in their hammocks. :) Thank you for the suggestions!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks pretty and colourful. Why not open it up to get them climbing more?

When I'm trying to get my cages enrichment right i look back to a list of natural ray behaviours. Then i tick off a few examples of each in each set up. This link might help you add there are a few that are missing such as digging there and some that aren't fully exploited such as different kinds of balancing and climbing

http://isamu.weebly.com/cage-enrichment.html
Oh gosh thank you for the link, lots of that looks really fun. I'll definately get them a dig box, I just hope they don't confuse it with a litter tray. And I think I'll replace one of the ramps with just the bird stick toy I have there for climbing, and maybe buy a few more ladders and stuff. :) Thank you so much. And I'm definately gonna add some ripped up old sheets for them to nest with, since my rats are definately nesters. I tried to put a blanket over their cage at night to keep it nice and dark and comfy for them but they pulled the blanket through the cage and ripped it to shreds haha. Thank you lots though!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my gosh the nesting stuff was a wonderful idea! I litterally just put some ripped up sheets in and tied to the cage, and the first thing my rat clementine did was grab a peice and run to her hammock! Thank you so much haha :')

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick Update! Rats now have a dig box and some nesting materials. They've been having so much fun getting freezedried strawberries out from under the rocks, and grabbing and ripping the materials for their nest. I'm out to get baskets and tubes and ropes really soon! Thank you all for helping! more suggestions are still welcome :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts