Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! One of my two girls, Cookie, hasn't been eating at all, and has only been drinking a few drops for the past few days. She barely ever comes out of her hut, and she is so skinny that I can put my thumb on the inside of her rib cage, not all the way through of course, just the end. Whenever I hold her, I feel like I am going to break her because she is so weak and fragile-looking. When she breathes she breathes heavily, and she has sores on her hands. She has a little bit of reddish-brown dry stuff around her eyes also. I'm highly concerned that she might not make it, and I cannot afford to take her to the vet right now. Cookie seemed sick when I first got her, but she seemed to have gotten better, and now she is sick again.

Please help!

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Have you tried rat-phoning her by putting her chest or back against your ear? You'll be listening for crackling/wheezing/bad breathing sounds. My Izumi died from a myco flare-up and she had similar symptoms. I could hear her bad breathing though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I "Phoned" her, and I heard something that may have been crackling, but it also may have been her gritting her teeth. I can also hear it when I'm not rat-phoning her, I would hate for something to happen to her.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I thought Izumi was grinding her teeth as well, but you have look at their cheeks. If you hear the noise and there's no cheek movement, it's the breathing. If it is myco, she needs to go to the vet. I understand if you can't take her right now, but Izumi acted like that just before she passed away. To help her, I've heard sitting in a steamy room (The bathroom with the shower running really hot) can be helpful. Honey is also supposed to be helpful but I can't remember if that's only before it starts up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked, and her cheeks are not moving. I will try to have her in a steamy room, and give her some pure honey. Should I seperate her from Mischief (my other rat) so that Missy doesn't get sick also?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
581 Posts
No. Myco is not contagious since all domesticated rats have it anyway. It would just stress them out and maybe make the myco worse. Watch her carefully and try to get some liquids in her. I find that my rats go insane for babyfood and it would be very helpful if you could get something liquid with some calories in her and soon. As soon as you can get her to the vet, please do. All of what I have told you may help her but it is not going to cure her. I understand not being able to afford a vet visit and I am in no way patronizing you for not being able to. Thank you for caring enough to try and help her as much as you can. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, good tip! I will try to save what I can, when I am not buying cat food, rat food, cat litter and rat bedding I will try to save for a vet! I am a minor, so I don't have too much money, but it will all be worth it if it helps my rats!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm a minor as well. I build up my Christmas and Birthday money and save it just for my ratties. I am hoping to get a job soon though. It works well to ask if you can do small things around the house for money (Mowing the lawn, raking leaves, maybe even vacuuming). Neera has cost me about $210 since I got her almost two months ago. They can be very expensive and even people with vet money saved up have problems sometimes when they run low. Do the best you can and try to save all of your money for them is all that you can do right now. :3

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Can your parents help? This sounds like pneumonia. I just went through this and I can promise the longer you wait the more expensive it is and less likely that they'll pull through. Hopefully it is just a uri but honestly it sounds worse than it is.

Anytime an animal stops eating or drinking they need run to the vet. Rats especially as well as cats hide their illnesses really well. Behavioral changes are the big hint. By the time you see symptoms like porphyrin and hear clicking it's already way late.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rats go downhill fast once they present with anorexia medication most of the time is useless. Some vets offer payment plans so you don't have to pay all at once. Maybe look into that for any future problems you have with your other pets.

All you can do is spend as much quality time with your rat. When they are sick having them in our shirts or on our laps helps keep them warm.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Any one of those symptoms is a sign that your ratty is almost certainly sick. I Haven't seen a rat with that many symptoms before, and many of the rattles that had not as many symptoms were still fighting for their lives. I'd get to a vet asap.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an update on Cookie!

We took her into a room with a lot of steam for like, 2-3 hours, and this morning she could open her eyes! Later, she started moving by herself, climbing her cage walls (I have hardware cloth walls), and even started using her Excersize wheel! She could only leap a few times and then she had to stop and breath, but she kept trying to run! We had to help her stop using the wheel though, because it can't be good for her.

THank you soo much for your help!!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would keep using the steam if it's helping her and even if she seems better, strive for a vet appointment soon. This kind of illness isn't just going to disappear on its own. She needs veterinary attention, this will only postpone it. I am glad that it helped though and I hope she can see a vet soon. :3

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Cookie just passed away. I think she died quickly, because I checked on her not that long ago, and she was doing fine. My older brother just disposed of the body, Missy is an only-rat now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.