Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

My girl Itchy's coat has been looking a little scruffy lately, hairs sticking out and just generally looking a little unkempt - until recently her coat has usually been nice and sleek and shiny.
I know when their coat gets messy it can be a sign of illness, and she's been behaving normally in every other way but I know they can be good at hiding it!

I'm only doubtful because she recently lost her only cagemate and now lives alone. Do you think she might be fluffy because her sister isn't cleaning her 24/7 now? Does anyone have any experience with this? Could she just be maybe too lazy to keep herself looking shiny?

Vet appointments are expensive and I'd rather not take her in just to be told this is normal behaviour for rat that's alone!

Thanks if anyone has any information :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
How old is she? Sometimes their coats become less silky as they get older. Has her eating habits changed? If her protein level has dropped, sometimes that could alter the appearance as well. Try giving her a few bits of tuna in water or chicken breast ...just a few little bits for a few days and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try picking her diet up a little and see if it helps. She's nearly 2 years old and she was purchased from a pet store so her health has been so-so. Since I've posted this, she's started looking scruffier, lost some weight is a moving around a little slower so I think she may be sick now, back to the vet i suppose! I'm just not sure if grieving or loneliness could have an effect. it costs $60 just to see the vet, not including medications so I get tempted to put it off as it sometimes resolves on its own, but I don't want her getting sicker!
Thanks for the tip though, I'll try a little protein.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts