Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, when I first got them, they both looked like normal rats. But a couple dyas ago, I noticed Rem's bely was slightly bigger then Leaf's, so I've been wtahcing her to see if it got any bigger.
I think she may be preggers, seeing as they came from a pet shop. (They were single sex cages, but who knows)
I'm prepared to care for babies if need be, but I am still unsure if she's just tubby or pregnant.

I didn't want to hold her and try to get a picture just in case there are babies in there. This is also the only picture I could get of her belly, and she's stretched out as long as she can go so her belly looks a tinsy bit bigger than other times I've looked at her. Also, look carefully at her belly fur, 'cause that maker her look bigger than she really is.

So, what do your guys think? She's around 8 weeks old, so hopefully she's just a fat rat and not a young mother ><

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
the double post has been fixed. to get one deleted either just change the title to delete and when a mod happens to see it will be deleted while still letting other members know that it was an accident post and so not bother with it. or you can pm modreport with the link to it and request to have it deleted and one of the mods will do it for you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's twitch. Now I know how to fix it if it happens again ^^
Rem is actually the thicker of my two girls. Leaf was thinner than her, even before her belly got a bit bigger. She hasn't begun nest building yet, and I haven't seen the obvious nipples either.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i really don't know if your rat is pregnant or not. that could really just be a fat belly. normally, once home, owners will have them on a better diet then the pet store so their rats will really start pounding on the weight. but maybe you are feeding them something with too much fat. what is it that you feed them? how long have you had them now and how old were they when you got them? if you've had them for over 21-23 days and you have no babies then you're in the clear as that is how long gestation lasts.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Your girl may just have a tiny belly like other young rats often do. Its a bit soon to tell at this point.

Here is my 12-week girl's belly who had me fooled. She came with her sister who had been pregnant...the 2 eepers never made it (they weren't in my care at that point). Tosca worried me a lot.

and she even showed the little bulgy lovehandles preggy girls often get

BUT I weighed her everyday with her sister as the "control" rat and soon figured out it was her own baby weight she was carrying, not eepers :)

Do you have access to a scale (digital postal or food is best)? If you do, weigh her every day around the same time and keep a record. Young rats are on a growth spurt but even then you will see a distinct weight gain on top of that. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Whew, I would take the word of them over me. I've never owned a girl rat :) I know my boys tend to have a belly but they have pudge all over so I was comparing her to that. Glad you can't see nipples that is a good sign!

Good luck, maybe she isn't pregnant after all but I would still take Lilspazz's advice and weigh her.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i pritty sure she may have a bun in the oven or 12 lmao

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well... I looked at her today and her belly looks a bit bigger than before. Also, her nipples are more visible than before (I coudn't see them actually) so I'm thinking she's pregnant.
When I came home from work last night, the bedding in the bottom of the cage was a bit messier than before I left, but my two girls like to rough house down there so it gets stirred up a lot.
So, I snapped two more pictures for you to look at. Rem's nipple's aren't visible in eitehr of them, but I'm almost convinced she's preggers now.

They aren't really good pictures.
But if she is pregnant, should I seperate her from Leaf? I think the poor girl would get aufully lonely by herself, she loves to play with Rem ><
So, do you guys think it's still just baby fat? I'm just thinking about waiting anotehr week (I'll have had her for 3 weeks by then) and see if she pops.

·
Registered
94 Posts
she pop out in about a week.. give or take a day or so.. im guessing about 8 to 10 pups.. I can also sex them for you if you want me too.. thats if she don't eat some of her own or lay on them and suffocate some since shes a new mother and this is her first litter...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Is she eating loads more compared to your other girl?

When I brought Dotty at 9 weeks she was a "normal" sized ratty, after about a week she started to get quite a belly on her, then soon after she popped.
I HAD to leave Doris in the same cage as her, as I wasn't prepared for a pregnant rat and I also didn't have the cash to buy a seperate cage. They were absolutely fine, Dotty told Doris off at times, but otherwise she helped look after the babies and let Dotty have a rest when she needed to.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well, most of the really helpful signs start about a week from birth, with some people no signs at all. in the before pics of ozzy her nipples were also visible (they still are and she's 5 months in 5 days) you could buy a scale (i dont know if a weight watchers scale would work, they measure in grams....) and keep track of weight, if the nipples get bigger and start to lose fur around them that's a sign (so ive heard) good luck with your baby...and.. possibly her babies!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure if she eats more than Leaf. She didn't really like the yogies I bought them today (Leaf stole Rem's, she wanted the whole cup!).
Whenever I feed them, Leaf will always take the food and stash it all over the cage, mostly in one bottom corner, the wooden hide (now an igloo) and up in the mountain dew box.
Rem usually takes what may be left over in the dish or eat the stuff in the box so, I can't really tell if she eats more than Leaf.

I'm still looking for that scale though. I know there is one around ehre somewhere...

·
Registered
486 Posts
When Dotty was pregnant I'd put one of them ratty treat bars in the cage for them, she'd be the one sitting there for hours eating it. The next morning all that would be left is a wooden chew.
Whereas if i put one in now it takes about 2 weeks to all disappear - and that's with 3 rats.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.