Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i took my 5-week old baby out for a play, she was doing her usual running around, sniffing things, climbing all over me...then she started jumping and shaking! almost exactly like when a guinea pig "pop-corns" (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjC94EhAs00 ) when my piggies do it, i know that they're happy and playful, but is it the same for rats? i'm not sure if she was scared/stressed/exited or just playful. any advice would be awsome!

p.s. she was born wild if that makes a difference :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
shaking is a rat sign for feeling something intently, it can be excitment, nerves, happiness and so on. if she seemed happy then its likley a positive thing. The other thing it could be was if she did it after you'd touched her back or hind quarters. When does go on heat a touch to the rump makes them hop around, vibrate, wiggle there ears and arch there back slightly. They come onto heat roughly every 5 days

·
Registered
475 Posts
My two little boys ddo this too. They are 5 1/2 weeks. I'm not sure about the shaking but they hop around like that when they play together in their cage. Since they do it when they're playing I imagine it means they're happy. I just kinda think of it and like you know when puppies get that sudden burst of happy energy and bolt around suddenly? I take it to be like that. I could be wrong though. I'm no expert by any means. These are only my second round of ratties. As one of my older rats is getting pretty close to the end I got some more for his cage mate so he won't live alone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone! since she was running around playing with her toys as well i'm going to assume it's a positive thing :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts