Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I got my kids each a rat for Christmas. They were both supposed to be boys, but I'm pretty sure now that one is a female, and I think she might be pregnant ( belly is getting bigger and nipples are more pronounced). I'm new here so I'm not sure I did it right, but I think I added pics ( pls let me know if they aren't there lol). I would really like some opinions, as I have never had a pregnant rat before. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
She definitely looks a little on the chunky side. If she keeps growing, you should do as grawrisher said and place her in a tank with some soft bedding (paper towels, paper bedding, fleece). I'll copy a link to another thread where I lined out some do's and don'ts for another person who just had an accidental litter. As always, keep us posted and feel free to ask questions!
http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?252122-Someone-who-knows-about-rats-and-births

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, she is definitely pregnant. She started nesting last night, and I could see movement in her belly also. I have her set up in her own cage now with lots of nesting material. Although this is not what I had planed, I'm getting pretty excited! I will keep you updated, and thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats! Its a Girl!...And about to be 4-12 more! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mama had her babies! there's at least 4 everyone seems to be doing well. I will try to post pics in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm excited for you! Too bad you aren't closer I'm looking for a litter in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Uh-oh 13 squirmy sausages to find homes for! We have an adoption section for when you want to start looking for good placements for the babies. Make sure to check for milk bands periodically! CongRATS on the accidentopups.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, I will definitely check out the adoption center. I've already found a home for two. Just wondering how often periodically is? Because she has them completely
hidden now, and to get a look at them I'll have take her nest apart. I don't want to do that more often than I have to. Also if I notice one is not being feed what exactly do I do? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would check on them at least once a day (with Vicky I looked in on them 2 or 3 times as she had a habit of running off with them attached and they needed to be put back I. The pile) if they are not getting fed you will need to supplement their feeding with kitten milk replacer or soy formula

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Gosh I'm so jealous of all of you with your little rat jelly beans! I miss having babies, fortunately though there have been no oops litters to rescue around here lately :) Congrats on the little ones, I think you'll really enjoy watching them grow!

·
Registered
97 Posts
OOh CongRATS!!! Any name ideas yet? If I ever find myself with a litter or rat pups I would name them all in a theme! Like Skittles, Hershey, Twix, etc!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Theme names are fun. I took in a stray cat that is a Tortoise shell calico so I named her Tortellini. Of course she was prego and had 4 kittens. I named them all pastas in honor of their mom: Ravioli, Ziti, Gnocchi & Couscous. Mom is now spayed & all kittens got adopted. If you have 13 like you think, that's a baker's dozen. Maybe you can name them different cookies lol! Oreo, Sugar, Snickerdoodle, etc... Keep us posted

1 - 20 of 32 Posts