Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I got a baby rex rat (approx. 4 weeks old) which I asked a few other questions about. His left eye is still only halfway open, not sure if there's something in it? There's no discharge or crust or anything, I don't think it's red. I've wiped it with damp q tips and gently tried to pull it back but haven't found debris. He is eating a lot and bruxxing a lot. But he sneezes CONSTANTLY. They are not wet sneezes but I'm concerned it may be more than the initial just getting home sneezing. He has no crust on eyes/nose/anywhere. I can take him to the vet if needed but a checkup at the closest exotics vet/the only one that will take rats is $50+ and then the cost of medicine. I'm not sure that they're too experienced in rats either. I don't want to pay $50 to be told it's normal, even if it isn't just because someone doesn't know what they're doing!

Should I try to give him tetracycline/amoxicillin? I read that these can help. The only thing is I don't know how much he weighs. He's just a little bigger than the size of a mouse. We've already bonded quite a bit, he seems to really like me. I don't want to lose him! I'm trying to find a better vet right now.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would really try and find a vet and also rats shouldnt leave their mother until they are 6 weeks old.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll be taking him to the vet. I know he's a little young to be separated but he was a feeder rat, it was out of my control. I'm giving him goat milk to help, although I know that doesn't make up for the psychological aspect of being with their mother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts