Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 rats. The oldest is very sick with a myco flareup. The three young rats all seem fine at this time.

I asked the vet about giving them Baytril and she said to NOT unless and until they show signs of the illiness. I assume this is to prevent them from building up an immunity from Baytrill (antibiotic).

However, knowing this group and the experience here.. I wonder if there is a dose that maybe I shoudl mix in their water to allow them to get a little Baytrill at least for the next 10 to 14 days?

Ideas? Good bad? If good what dose intot he water? I know it supposes to taste bad but figured I could mix a little syrup or sugar to mask the baytrill in the water.

thanks for reading and any comments
Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I normally do but not sure she is the expert here on rats. She only has one other person that owns rats so her exposure is low a lot lower then this forum and the experience here..

I have read somewhere in the various forums that a dose should be given to other rats in the same cage to prevent but can not find that post/forum and do not even remember if it stated a dose.

Anyway, at this point I have not given them anything ..

seemed like a good idea but maybe not woud not be the first time I had a bad idea <g>

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
if antibiotics work the same way for people and rats then you should NOT do it for sure.

If you've ever taken antibiotics the doctor will tell you to take ALL of it even if you feel better because if you don't finish the correct dosage the infection can come back with more resistance to the drugs.

Putting a little bit of baytrill will (in theory) help the infection FIGHT the drugs rather than succumb to them. It's the same with vaccines. When you get a Flu shot you are injected with a tiny amount of the virus, so your body can build a resistance without getting ill.

I'm not a vet but but I do know it's a horrible idea to take antibiotics the wrong way even though people do it all too frequently, and put themselves at risk for future illness.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
.......... I forgot to say..............

If you're really worried, you should have a more detailed discussion with your vet. Talk to your vet, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. If he/she is just tells you "not to worry" without explaining anything then you should consider getting a new vet!

I hope your ratties don't become ill but I'm sure they'll pull through if they do! :) no worries

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are all right.. I did find the place below is the statement but in re-reading sounds more like if you have a heavy problem with myco:

Because Mycoplasma is probably never eliminated entirely from the airways, it often becomes necessary to use a daily maintenance schedule of antibiotics for rats with chronic Mycoplasmosis. Dr. Hutchinson has had some success with the long term maintenance dose of enrofloxacin 4.4 mg/kg daily PO (oral), and based on his experience, no discernable side effects have been noted.

Here is the entire link: The info in in the treatment section:

http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was discussing this with my vet the other day. She said not to treat unless there are signs of gunk on the chest.
It is common to give anti b's profilacticaly, say a high dose during surgery.
I consider two things it is possible even with the prescribed dose, for a few bugs to survive baytril, if these bugs have encountered the baytril but not a high dose (say stuck in a very hard bit of lovely protective mucus) they are more equipped to fight it next time, these hard core bugs breed and then your rat has lungs with bugs who can handle baytril
also
if those hard core bugs get into the general population over time then future rats will have lung fulls of baytril resistant bugs :(
Wow that was such a long winded explanation!

·
Registered
353 Posts
like people who have tons of ear infections as a kid (like me), once the bugs get resistant to the anti-b's (say from lots of visits to the doc, for lots of ear infections) the doc gives u a stronger one....now, as a 23 year old woman, if id have insurance to go to the doctor and finally end up getting my tonsils out because of the chronic cryptic tonsillitis that plagues my life, they'd give me like the strongest kind they can...because ive become resistant to everything else.... i think thats basicly how it works

·
Registered
655 Posts
Its like methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus, it used to be just Staph aureus, very common-lives on most people, but has adapted :?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
No. The healthy rats can combat the Baytril perfectly well.

The ill rat is the only one who needs it, it should be the only one who gets it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info and yes I agree.. Seems the vet WAS right!! I see her reasons now.. One thing about her she is very very good i quit going to her office as the main vet was never very friendly to the dogs. Thsi lady has come in taken over most of his business and is very very pleasant to deal with.. She took the time to come out to the counter asked about each other rat discussed how if she were to get a rodent family pet woudl be a rat over a hamster or gerbil. She knows many folks she said that has had hamster and gerbil bites and said she has not heard of anyone getting bit by a per rat.. and she mentioned how smart she has learned they are.. They just carry the "wild" rat personna I guess <g>

Anyway great group and I appreciate the replies..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts