Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm curious about this topic... I've read so much about cancer appearing in rats that I'd like to know what age you typically see it (if it will be an issue with your rat)? Is there a typical age, or is it just random? My 2 of my 6 are close to 1 year old, with the others being about 8 months... I have not seen any signs yet, so was just wondering if they had not reached the typical age for this to become evident or not. I know some strains of rat are more prone to it than others, so I'm sure that is a factor as well. I do not know the history of mine (2 are petstore "feeders" and 4 are rescued pups from a mother dropped off at my local petco).

I'd appreciate any feedback and /or insight on this issue.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id say around 18 months onwards. But worth realising that most lumps in rats are benign tumours not cancer. True cancer is not that common and generally fatal unless you are very lucky and catch it early (is normally internal so very hard to do) and it's not cancer of an organ. benign tumors (most commonly mammary tumours or fatty lumps) ate easy to get removed and not nearly so bad

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'd also like to add that if you have females, spaying them greatly reduces (or eliminates) the possibility for mammary tumors (which are extremely prevalent in intact girls), pyometra, reproductive organ cancers, etc. I get all of my girls spayed once they're big enough (generally about 300 grams/3 months old). I've never had a girl develop a tumor that was spayed.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Night- thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I have no exotic animal vets in my area and those that we do have (regular vets) won't operate on rats unless it is an emergency procedure (they say it is too risky).. At least this is what the petsmart employee over adoptions told me. She said that their vet has neutered males in the past but won't operate on females and has stopped doing male rats as well.

I will keep this in mind though, if we ever get a good exotics vet in town, I may do this in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.