Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a rat from an older pair. he's 2.5+ years old. his buddy died a month ago and so i got some new rats for him, so he wouldn't be lonely but he isn't taking to them at all.

i used the small space method and they aren't attacking or biting each other but my older rat screams and is somewhat aggressive (no biting, just aggressive stance) whenever the new rats try to interact with him. i would run to the cage from the sound of him screaming, but realized nothing was happening. he's just freaking out if they even get close to him. he didn't do this at first when i first put them into the cage, i actually thought they were getting along for a bit. he was sleeping with the less dominant one and one time i found him cuddling with the dominant one.... but over time he's become more and more stressed. he's lost hair in bits, i don't know from barbering or self barbering. every time i open the cage, he jumps on my shoulder to escape and would rather spend time with me than the new rats. besides the hair, i don't see any injuries on any of them.

i've been giving him lots of outside time, b/c he seems desperate for it. i have another cage, should i separate them? or double down and not give him outside time? i've had them together for about 3 weeks now.

i'm just sad and frustrated b/c i got these new rats for him with the advice of people and it seems he's doing worse with them than if i just kept him alone.

i'm going to take them to the vet this or next week and see if they have any advice.

·
Super Moderator
382 Posts
I cant really help to be honest. I am trying to introduce a younger rat to two old males and having the same issue, the older less mobile rat is very defensive and stand-offish, he bit the younger ones lip and broke the skin so I seperated them for the day and am trying to slowly reintroduce

Maybe take a step back and go back to neutral territory intros and take it slowly

·
Registered
567 Posts
Have you tried a different tactic, like putting them in a bathtub or larger supervised space?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes. i tried the neutral space method first and that went horribly with the dominant new rat and my old rat attacking each other (drawing blood). i immediately switched to the small space method and that went much better. like i said... they were somewhat stable until we got to where we are now.

larger supervised space... i've done that with outside time and my older rat just avoids the new rats.

for now i've separated them, because i saw them get into another fight. my older rat is much happier now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts