Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! But just wondering wouldn't the wood (especially the toys) break down faster and I would have to throw them out soon after boiling them a couple times? Just wondering. Also how much should I do this?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes probably, and be careful boiling "structures" like wooden huts because some of them are held together with glue and the hot water might dissolve the glue. Just saying this incase you do have that.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I boiled my rats wood toy (Kaytee fiddle sticks hideout) for about 20 mins and then put it in oven at 300F for 10 mins to help it dry. It is still pretty wet after that- so I let it air dry. The toy didn't show any signs of breaking down whatsoever. I believe I did it 3 times already.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Depends on how much your rats pee on them..you will have to do a quick sniff test, lol. At least once a month, but could be every week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, so what you should do is soak them in hot, not boiling, water. Then soak in a 50/50 vinegar and water solution for 25 minutes. then rinse in cold water. Do this when you clean their cage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts