Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
No!! Definitely not!! Rats need so much space use this with the dimensions of every cage you find to see if it is suitable, a rat can easily chew that cage and escape...
http://www.ratcentral.com/rat-cage-calculator/
Plus you need to get at least 2 or more rats, because they are very social animals! I don't recommend pet-smart for rats, they often come sick, pregnant or just are very bad at socializing with a horrible temperament! You can get so much for the price of that tiny cage, reconsider this please...

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
821 Posts
No, This cage is not suitable for any age of rat! Please don’t get animals from petstores. Look at breeders and rescues near you! And yes, rats almost always need to live in pairs of two, or more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please get 2 rats (of the same gender) as they hate being alone and will literally wither away with depression. If you can't have 2 for any reason, hamsters can be by themselves and are easy to take care of. Think of rats as palm size dogs that always need interaction, except rats need interaction all the time - especially at night. Also, many so called "rat cages" are heartbreaking and Kaytee products are like torture chambers. Please avoid their rat food as it is really really bad for them (Oxbow all the way for my boys). There are more experienced people that can give better advice but I got a Martin rat cage which my boys love. If it's too big, some of my friends have a Rat Manor which is slightly smaller but good also. Another thing that is really great for any cage is to change it around every week or so. They are super curious and have super-active minds and it makes them jump for joy! Rats are loving sensitive creatures that live in company and clean each other, I can't stress how important it is for them to have a cage mate. If you can't keep 2 rats for any reason, a hamster would be a better option as they like to be solo and don't need much attention.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That cage is not large enough for rats. Rats should be kept in at least pairs, or more. Keeping a single rat can lead to the rat becoming depressed and experiencing undue stress.

Please don't buy a rat from a pet store as it only fuels the commercial pet industry. Rats and other animals purchased directly from pet stores are commercially bred with no thought put into their health or temperament.

There are many breeders in Canada and I'm sure you could find one to buy a pair of baby rats from instead. There are also a lot of better cage options out there!

You can use this cage size calculator to see how many rats can live in it (you enter the dimensions of the cage in inches or cm): ratclub.org - cage calculator

This is the result when you plug that Kaytee cage's dimensions into it:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum!!!

I think it's so fantastic that you're doing research and asking question before getting any rats! You're a lot smarter than me. When I got back into keeping rats, it was an impulse decision. I bought one rat from a pet store and I didn't even have a suitable cage at home. I ended up keeping him alone in an aquarium for months and months before I even started to do any research. I realized very quickly that I was doing just about everything wrong and my dear little guy was suffering because of it.

Others have already offered some good advice but I'm just gonna repeat a few things.

I don't recommend purchasing rats from pet stores. It's better for you and for the animals if you get your rats from small scale pet-only breeders or legitimate rescue organizations. Rat breeders (rattery) often have websites or facebook pages. [Petfinder] can be a good tool to find rats from legitimate rescue organizations.

Rats must be kept in pairs, at least. It's not optional.

For cage size, the bigger the better. For 2 or 3 rats I think a good starting size would be 7 to 10 cubic feet. I think a base floor size of 18" x 30" (45cm x 75cm) is a good starting size for giving your rats enough space to run around. The Kaytee My First Rat Home is too small to be a permanent home for rats. The [Kaytee Multi-Level Exotics Cage] is a better size for 2 or 3 rats. An okay budget cage is the [Prevue 528] cage. It's a little small and doesn't have much height but I think it's more acceptable than the Kaytee My First Rat Home cage. [Sunny Meadows Cages] also has a few good options for rats!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts