Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Madam Squeakster and Señorita Squeaks
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every week I am going to start giving my girls a little check up to make sure there are no problems that would require a vet visit. I gave them their first one today and they HATED it. I start with a look at their nose to make sure there is not more of the red stuff that I can’t spell then normal. After that I look at their eyes and do pretty much the same thing. Then I inspect their ears. Make sure there is no irritation or a bad smell. After that I give them a little break and give them a tumor inspection disguised as a massage to make sure there are no lumps or anything of the sort. Then I finish up the check up with a paw inspection and give them a treat to take back into the cage. That’s my checkup routine right now. Is there anything else I should do and is there anyway I can make it less scary on them? I don’t want to upset them doing this however I feel it is important to make sure they remain in good health.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's great that you're doing this! I think in time they will get used to it. Especially if you always give a favourite treat afterwards.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think what you are doing sounds great, and they will probably get quite used to it, especially if you're using treats. (I just realised I pretty much said exactly the same thing as Fofo LOL.)
Also, since they are girls you could check around their private parts for discharge or any signs of urinary problems, although if they are wriggly this can be tricky. Its as if they are saying "excuse me.... do you mind?" :)

·
Registered
Madam Squeakster and Señorita Squeaks
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I will make sure to incorporate that into next week’s routine. I think their least favorite part is the paw check. It might also be that that’s the part where it is hardest to hold them still. Hopefully they will get used to their weekly checkup.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Good routine! Mine get the same, mostly checking for tumors since two brothers have gotten them. Mine have not gotten used to it, they act like kids squirming and pushing away, but I hold firm for the inspection lol. Even when they know they are getting their special 'rat candy'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts