Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have two male rats and i consider switching cage to this one because it has bigger doors than my current one. Is it suitable?
The height is 125cm/50in width is 50cm/20in and length is 50cm/20in. Each floor has a height of 41cm/16in
Pet supply Wood Gas Automotive exterior Kitchen appliance

World Road surface Wood Textile Flooring

Wood Gas Rectangle Facade Font

·
Registered
567 Posts
No. The bare, uncoated wire will start to rust, not to mention there's sharp exposed edges sticking out inside of the cage, and the wood will absorb urine and begin to stink very quickly. It's also too tall vs wide. Rats need more horizontal space than vertical.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. The bare, uncoated wire will start to rust, not to mention there's sharp exposed edges sticking out inside of the cage, and the wood will absorb urine and begin to stink very quickly. It's also too tall vs wide. Rats need more horizontal space than vertical.
Ok, thanks! If i doubled it would that be ok? I have something in the bottom so they are not in touch with the wires:)

·
Registered
567 Posts
The wire is still going to rust and absorb urine, as well as the wood, so I would not recommend it as a cage no matter what size it is.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
50 cm (20 inches) is a bit narrow. I wouldn't say its horrible but I prefer a starting width of around 75 cm (30 inches) and wider.

Wire mesh floors aren't a big problem. They're easy to cover. I sew thick absorbent mats to cover the wire platforms in my boys cage. I prefer using a loose substrate bedding on the floor of the cage, though. You could always DIY some sort of deep pan.

I think the biggest issue with this cage is the wood. Theres really no way to clean it so it will absorb urine and smell terrible over time.

If this cage is free (or at least really cheap) it would probably be okay for a bit but I wouldn't expect it to have a long life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts