Rat Forum banner

Is this cage okay?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  erikablanchettexo 
#1 ·
Hey guys, as some of you may know my aunt and I recently rescued two little girl rats. But now, there big and they've out grown the cage they were in. All I have is my hosptial cage, and it's to smal for one rat for a long period of time, let alone two. So while I was looking on kijiji ( Canadian craigslist) I found this cage. Actually, the womens selling two of them for 35$. I was against it because of the wood, but is there anyway to keep it from stinking?
Does anyone have any experience with this?

#2 ·
You can use yacht varnish on wood and it protects it pretty well but you need to give it several days to dry. i know several people who use rat hutches and have them varnished woth a water proof varnish and providing you do 2 to 3 coats is tough durable and cleans well.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of the cage to be honest but why not get both abs make a tower cage out of them.

They do look to have very shallow trays. i would make a kick guard or deeper tray for them out of perspex or corrugated plastic.

You could also remove the shelves all together and use cat litter trays instead. Much more practical.

#3 ·
Petsmart in the US sells this cage, and I looked at it, for a possible temporary cage.

The wood around the bottom is unneccessary, and removable, I think, if I was reading the cage specs correctly. I wouldn't fool with it, personally, and just remove it.

I'd likely also take out the wood accessories inside the cage, and replace with hammocks and shelves I made myself--seems easier than coats of varnish and waiting for that to cure.

You can find all kinds of shelf/level possibilities at hardware/home improvement stores and dollar stores and organization stores. Just check for sharp edges, wire spacing, etc.

You can zip tie coroplast to them, for a solid surface.

Baskets make great extra vertical spaces to play and sleep, too.

I think Isamurat just posted some pics of how she uses litter pans for some of her levels (with litter in), and you might have enough room in that cage, for very small ones.

I'd ditto the suggestion to take both cages and combine them, for more room.

#4 · (Edited)
I have this cage, and it has worked well for me with 2 girls (although it's now one girl waiting for a new friend). I took out the wood when it was unusable and replaced everything. Here's the product page with the cage's dimensions: http://www.waremfginc.com/sa-detaildisplay.aspx?itemno=02308aa7 I put in levels (using mini zip ties) of an old jeans leg, a dollar store dishrack/cardboard/fleece, 2 lava ledges: http://www.amazon.com/SUPER-452372-Ledge-Animals-Colors/dp/B00176F466 and a space pod: http://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Critter-Space-Pod-Large/dp/B002X2NBNQ. I also have a covered spice rack on the bottom of the cage to serve as a replacement for the hut (although Orbit pretty much just lives in the space pod).
Here is what the cage looks like now: Cage Animal shelter Pet supply Parakeet Degu
(Orbit loves to fill the space pod with paper and uses it to block the door when she wants privacy)

P.S. I used to have to collapse it every couple of months and reassemble it when traveling, so the wire has gotten a little bent so I now need to use binder clips to keep the doors closed, but the cage is still very sturdy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.