Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Just curious about something.. Today I finally constructed a play pen for my rattie's and I to spend time together in, it's the first time they've been out of their cage free range.

My more adventurous and sometimes aggressive rat Luna crawled inside my shirt, up the bottom of it and through the neck hole of my shirt (biting me as she climbed upwards, not breaking skin or anything but kind of uncomfortable and slightly hurting), then when she got to the back of my neck (I have long hair and it was in a bun) she started rummaging through my hair frantically and started biting my hair. She got tangled in it and I had to carefully remove her from my knotted hair, trying not to hurt either of us.

Later on my boyfriend was watching me play with them and she jumped up to him and on his shoulder, she then continued to the back of his neck (he has long hair to) and started rummaging through his hair as well just as frantic, except she was biting his neck instead of just his hair. It was the same as when she did it to me, it wasn't breaking skin or anything, but it was kind of uncomfortable and slightly hurting.

I was just wondering if maybe she was just trying to nest in our long hair or examine it, or if this was an aggressive action? Thanks for all the helpful and nice comments, I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Rats often use their teeth like "hands" to test and try things. It is nibbling and she isn't trying to be aggressive she is just checking stuff out.

But u should let her know that u don't appreciate it. Making a bit of a noise- not to scare her but to say ouch when she does it is fine. Removing her from u if she continues as well.

It could also be your lotion, soap, shampoo that has a very interesting scent. My sister in law came over the other day wearing a very good strong smelling lotion and my rats went bonkers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts