Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking for rat mixes on Amazon, and stumbled upon "Vita Prima Rat, Mouse, & Gerbil Formula"
So as a product for all 3 of these animals, I expected the protein to be too high, however, it's only at 14%, the fat is at 5%.

It claims to be nutritionally complete for rats, and I'm wondering if that is the case.
The ingredients all look great, except for whole dried corn, which I pick out.
Theres also Dehydrated Alfalfa meal, I'm wondering if this is okay? If not, what does it look like so I can take it out?

All the other ingredients look really healthy!
My rats DO pick at their favorite parts, So I don't give it daily. I take some of the bigger chunk pellets out (not the green ones in case that's alfalfa) and mix it with their Regal rat and Oxbow Young rat and mouse food pellets daily. But the rest of the mix i only give once every other day. (picking out the corn and green pellets)

Does this mix, minus the corn and possibly alfalfa look okay to feed every other day? I try to mix it around because my rats get bored pretty quickly of Oxbow's food, but they'll eat it if I mix it like this.

Thank you alot, any help is appreciated!

I also feed my rats "Vita prima Snappers" as treats. They seem pretty healthy and are mainly oats, seeds, and dried fruits. My rats love these. Are they safe also? (not for everyday use)

I put the most important things in bold in case some of you don't want to read the whole thing! <: Thank you~

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would personally avoid feeding this at all, because it looks like it has a lot of corn in it and if I remember correctly rats cannot digest alfalfa. I would just feed the Oxbow, as it is nutrionally complete, and offer them fresh fruit and veg along side that as bonding treats. The treats you mentioned are safe for them but I would lean more to giving fruits and veggies to them as they love them and they offer beneficial nutrients. Try Kale, apple, banana, broccoli, berries, peas... you can consult the good and bad foods list in the health section of the forum for more ideas. :) Also how old are your rats?

·
Registered
189 Posts
It has a LOT of corn and wheat, if you look at the ingredients there's not only whole corn but also ground corn, flaked corn, corn gluten, and corn distillers, all of these would add up to a whole lot of corn, there's also wheat, wheat middlings, flaked wheat. Peanuts aren't very good for rats, neither are sunflower seeds and then they have soybean hulls which isn't even the whole bean. It sounds like you are feeding for variety and you have Oxbow as a staple diet. Personally, I wouldn't feed it, if you want to add variety, you can make a mix of healthy, low-fat seeds and grains.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I give a fresh fruit/veggie salad daily! I will avoid this food from now on. Thank you~

My rats are around 5-6 months of age. I'm not entirely certain, but they're pretty young still, and at least of of them is still growing, and still has a baby-face.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts