Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I wanted to make my own Rattie food mix...I was wondering if I could get opinions on it...this is what it consists of:

* Dry rolled Oats, Barley, Wheat and Triticale

* Wheaties Cereal

* Multigrain Cherrios Cereal

* Uncle Sams toasted whole wheat flakes & Flaxseed Cereal

* Kashi's 7 whole grain puffs Cereal

* Black & White sunflower seeds

* Rice Krispies

* Dry tri-color spinach and tomato flavor pasta

* Dry whole wheat elbow pasta

* Dried unsweetened bananas & cranberries

I think I remembered everything...lol...I will also of course be giving them fresh veggies and fruits

Thanks for any feedback :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
keep the seeds & dried fruits out of the staple diet because when you add it to the bulk of the mix they tend to pick that out first & scatter/ignore the rest

offer those items in moderation so that they are not taking in too much sugar or fat

I don't have the labels of all of these processed cereals that you list but I am sure that they too contain a lot more sugar carbs that what is good for ratty to take in

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I would replace at least one of the cereals (the rice krispies, perhaps) with something similar to Total, to ensure enough vitamins in the mix. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is the recipe I use.

Yummy Rat Food Recipe

Rolled Oats: Quaker Oats or generic equivalent

Rice: Wild or brown. I used a wild rice mix I found on clearance at
Target

Veggie Pasta: Websites advise to stay away from spirals since they're
pointly and sharp.

Dried Fruit: Sparingly. Try to stay away from brands with high
fructose corn syrup.

Dried veggies: If you can find it.

Small animal food: Because I can't find dried veggies, I use a little bit
of generic small animal food which is seed based
(like gerbil/hamster food). Rats should not have
this on it's own because it's too high in fat.

Cat food: I use what my cats eat, only a bit of it.

Total® Cereal: Specifically that brand and that brand only. It is
agreed on across the board as an excellent food
for rats.

Mix it all together and store in a closed container.

Supplement with fresh food and lab blocks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Kashi is an excellent cereal for both ratties and humans! They avoid the use of excess sugar, and provide a good source of protein and fiber. That is def. a keeper! Also twitch is right take out the Rice Krispies and put in some Total. Rice Krispies are basically a sugared up version of Puffed Rice. You can buy bags of puffed rice, wheat, kamut, corn.....I think I'm forgetting a few but they are much more healthy than Rice Krispies. Think of it this way most cereals that are marketed toward children are probably higher in sugar/fat, thus it would be best to avoid them. I'm sure there are a few exceptions to the rule but we're not here to talk cereal ;)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sweetpea said:
This is the recipe I use.

Yummy Rat Food Recipe

Small animal food: Because I can't find dried veggies, I use a little bit
of generic small animal food which is seed based
(like gerbil/hamster food). Rats should not have
this on it's own because it's too high in fat.

Cat food: I use what my cats eat, only a bit of it.
You may want to reconsider these two items. Diets based on hamsters & gerbils often contain ingredients that rats cannot digest & cat food is far too high in protein... often between 25 & 35%

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sweetpea - I'd suggest leaving out the seed mix, and ESPECIALLY the cat food. The seed mix, if you really wanted (and hopefully, it doesn't have corn in it) could be a treat, but does nothing good for the mix and I would suggest just not spending money on it at all. We get a lot of the mixes with surrendered rats and honestly? It's trash. And the cat food is pretty horrible for rats. It's too high in protein and fat... In fact, cat food can *cause* problems in rats (especially skin problems - scabs can result - I've seen in here with rats surrendered who were fed cat food; and even early onset renal failure). The only case where rats should be fed any cat food (though I don't do this myself, I find other ways of upping the protein) is pregnant and nursing moms who need extra protein. Cats have extremely different dietary needs than rats. A *high quality* (Innova Senior (not Plus), Wellness Lite/Senior, Authority Harvest Baked Lite, Natural Balance Vegetarian, Petguard Vegetarian, Solid Gold Senior/Lite, Blue Buffalo Senior are GREAT foods) dog food can be given, with a low protein percent (sometimes found as a senior or lite version). However, if you're supplementing with lab blocks, there's no need for any added dog food. If you're feeding fresh veggies, then there's no need for the seed mix to take the place of dried veggies.

I fully agree with everyone MopyDream said... just what I'd have said, but better. :) Something that works well is to eye the organic cereals... While some have added sugar, you can find puffed rice/wheat/kamut and more which doesn't have any added sugar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Note that I said "a little bit" on those two items. These should not be the majority of the mix.
Also, I indicated a brand name cereal because I have yet to find a generic that is anywhere near close to this brand.
As for lab blocks...I don't use them. I can't find any good ones and both my kiddies and I think they're disgusting. (No I didn't try them but a brown chunk of brick-like thing to eat? Ugggghhhh)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so keep dried fruits and sunflower seeds out of my food mix, use them pretty much as treats?

Replace rice krispies with total cereal

Change the dry pasta twists to the elbow

and pretty much use organic cereals or Kashi brand to avoid too much sugar...so, now I have a question...

Will this mix hurt my Ratties to eat it for maybe a week, because I already have it all mixed up and put in vacume sealed bags and I won't have the money to get the right stuff until payday, which won't be for almost a week after I get my girls. I didn't add the fruits to the mix and I can dig out the rice krispies before giving them their food, so thats not a problem, but would the rest of the mix be safe for them?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i'm sure the mix won't hurt temporarily, but as you get some better stuff you can add it to the mix to dilute out the amount of sugary cereals they get per feeding, i guess.

there is a brand of freeze-dried fruits made for babies that i can find at walmart often. it comes in a little bright green or pink bag, and it contains no sugar or anything other than fruit, so i find it's a great fruit addition to my own mix. my ratties definitely pick it out first, but the amount that's in each feeding is minimal.

also, my rats won't eat any kind of dried pasta unless they are spirally shaped. i think it's just a preference for how to hold them, but i've heard of other people's rats preferring sprials too. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
My mix includes:

Total Brand Cereal.
Nature's Path organic cereal (3 different types, mostly flax & fruit types).
Puffed Wheat.
Puffed Rice.
Old Fashioned Oats.
Black Oil Sunflower seeds (small amount).
Egg noodles.
Tri-colored pasta.
Soy beans.
Solid Gold Holistique dog food.
Chicken Soup For the Dog Lover's Soul Senior (small amount because of fat/protein percentage).

It's easy to just head over to the natural market place for the cereals and such, and the feed store for the dog foods. Feel free to use my mix, if you can find the ingredients. My rats are all healthy and no one is fat nor skinny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts