Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lucky enough to be getting two female rats in June, and I know it may seem a bit early to be planning their diet, but I want to be as prepared as possible! That way any problems with the diet can be fixed before I get them- I just want the best for my girls. So far, I'm planning on feeding them as follows:

Daily
  • Oxbow Regal Rat- Twice a day.
  • Fresh, organic veggies and fruit- Once a day, with their evening meal.
Weekly

• Seed and grain mix (originally created by RatGirl44)- 1tbsp per rat. All ingredients are organic. Ingredients: oat groats, pearl barley, hulled millet, wild rice, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, plain oats, chia seeds, puffed kamut, uncooked tricoloured pasta, dried blueberries, low sugar cheerios and flax seeds.
  • One cooked pasta spiral for each rat, for a protein boost as they are still growing.
Fortnightly

• One treat per rat- this could include any of the following: unsalted/unbuttered popcorn, a slice of banana, a small piece of cheese, yoghurt, a fresh blueberry, a red/black grape, or a small piece of dark chocolate.
How does this look?

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is almost exactly Cinnamon's diet! Although, I don't think a pasta spiral will boost the protein by very much. I usually give my boy eggs as a protein booster, even though he is already full grown. Other than that, everything looks great, and, as I said before, my rat gets almost exactly the same thing. I just love RatGirl44, she really knows her stuff and I trust her mix!:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'm considering adding scrambled egg to their protein boost as well. RatGirl44 is wonderful, I love watching her videos :)

Cinnamon is a cutie, by the way <3

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, Alren. :)

Question regarding the egg. How often would be a good idea to serve this? And how much (I will have two male rats...five weeks old)? And is there a way better than others (hard-boiled vs. scrambled, etc.)

Thank you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you! I'm considering adding scrambled egg to their protein boost as well. RatGirl44 is wonderful, I love watching her videos :)

Cinnamon is a cutie, by the way <3
Aw thanks! Glad I could help!

Thanks for starting this thread, Alren. :)

Question regarding the egg. How often would be a good idea to serve this? And how much (I will have two male rats...five weeks old)? And is there a way better than others (hard-boiled vs. scrambled, etc.)

Thank you!
I don't really think it matters. Maybe if you use the entire egg for both thing, they're both equal. Like, using the whole egg both times doesn't make a difference because the only difference is the way they are cooked, which I don't think changes the protein levels, if that makes sense. Hope this answers your question!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts