Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for 2 rats to live in a 30 gallon tank with a screen lid?they were doing fine in a 20 but i just want to see yalls take on it.i dont really have that much money so i cant really get something exspensive...any other suggestions for somehting?the tank is only $30 so u see my budget..

·
Registered
418 Posts
Aquariums are generally considered to be inappropriate cages no matter how big they are, as there is no ventilation, among other things. Your money would be better spent either building one of the 'do-it-yourself' cages that a few people on this forum could help walk you through building, or searching craigslist.org in your area and finding a good wire cage. Don't discredit getting a cage with too large of bar spacing (such as a rabbit or ferret cage) and covering it with hardware cloth, as these cages tend to be big enough, and will provide the proper ventilation for you ratty companions.

·
Registered
421 Posts
To give ya an idea, I am using a tank right now for two little babies for quarantine. It by no means smells when you walk by but when you stick your nose down in it you can smell what your babies are smelling. I faithfully have to clean out/disinfect the tank every 2 days just because of the poor ventilation. I can only imagine how bad it would get with full grown ratties in a tank. I would def. put the money into another cage or build one myself. Poor ventilation will just increase the odds of you spending more $ at the vet. Dont forget to check out any freecycles in your area. Seems around here someone is always freecycling pet cages.

·
Registered
447 Posts
lol yea i use a tank for my too oldies only because they are not in the best of condition and my other ratties are healthy... But by no means should anyone continue using a fish bowl for a furry critter

well even a bald rat! i love them too =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts