Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new.

Firstly, great site. It will help me alot.

So, i am looking at getting two rats. Mabey both male. Mabey both female. According to the calculator thing, a 2'x2'x2' cage is big enough for two adult rats. Is that right? I might actually make is 2' high.

So, i understand rats like to climb. Are they good climbers? Can they climb ropes?

The cage will be custom made. All wooden apart from a mesh front. Are rats good escape artist's? Will i need a secure lock?

There will be more questions to come.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi there, welcome!

Two rats is good. A large cage is good. 2x2x2 sounds good!

Rats do love to climb, and are very good at it. They CAN climb ropes, but some don't have the inclination, depending on personality, how the rope is situated, and what the rope leads to.

I would be careful with a wood cage. Unless it's treated, wood absorbs urine and you'll have to replace it pretty quick. Also, rats chew. A lot. And they can definitely chew out of a cage made of wood, so you'd have to either make it out of that white covered stuff that's really hard, or cover everything completely with the mesh. Browse around, a lot of people have made cages and can help you better.

Rats are excellent escape artists, but unless you have kids/family likely to let them out, a lock isn't necessary so much as a secure closing method.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
2' x 2' x 2' is suitable for 2 adult rats.

my ratties will climb anything. sometimes when i come home, they are all hanging on the sides of their cages. i have one girl who, rather than walk or run up and down the ramps, will climb to the different levels using the sides of the cage. yes, they can climb ropes.

personally, i wouldnt have a wooden cage, especially if three sides were wood. they will need air circulation, so at least two sides should be mesh. also, their urine will soak into the wood and make it absolutely stink!!! you will need to use non-lead-based paint and make sure it gets right into the corners. the mesh will need to be powder-coated for the same reason.

if there's a way out of a cage, a rattie will find it. the mesh spacing should be no more than 1/2", especially if you plan on getting girls. small girls can and do escape from cages with spacing larger than that (although so far, my spazz hasnt tried to yet). my boys live in a cage with doors that are pushed shut with a lip that hooks over a bar. my girls live in a large ferret cage with a drop latch. they havent worked out yet how to open their doors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have just had a cool idea. What if the cage was 2x2x3 (3 high) and the bottem and the back 'walls' wood, and the top and the front two sides mesh. I could hang the cage on the wall so sides ideal.

When i said lock, i didnt mean like a key lock, i meant do they need a lock that is very secure. Wll they work out how to open it?

What kind of rope do peoplen use, just ordinary rope from a shop?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
walls being wood sounds like placing them in a cave

it doesn't matter where you use the wood, it has to be moisture resistant because the urine & feces will soak into it created a petri dish for all kinds of yuckies to grow.

Rats don't just squat & piddle, they will back up against an exterior facing wall & pee & stream away from the interior.

As for the levels in the cage... you don't want to have a mesh flooring because it would be uncomfortable to walk on & could possibly cause injury. If the mesh is not vinyl or powder coated it will hold onto the urine or feces & again promote infection (i.e bumblefoot)

People get all charged up about creating custom cages but after all the hard work & expense they find themselves with an inferior product & end up going out to purchase a factory made cage.

The rope should only be a modest accessory since rats won't live their life out tight rope walking from area to area. In my experience they prefer tubes over ropes.

Good luck with your project but please PLEASE... don't go forward with making a cage out of wood until you do more research & see that I am not off base with what I am saying. There are threads right here in this forum from people who posted their disgust when they built their cage & had to toss it out because of the stink.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have made many cages for animals. i no to treat the wood and i didnt say i wanted the floor mesh.

i am now thinking of a 2x2x3 with lots of climbing space, and 3-4 added levels for them to explore. I am going to use apen floor as i have enough of it already lol.

i am going to have a wooden 'lip' at the bottem about 5 inch tall to keep the bedding in. will they apreciate a nest box?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts