Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really know if my parents will care enough about a rat to buy anything other than food and litter-essentail things. So chances are, I'm going to be buying the cage--as soon as I get the o-kay and AFTER little brother gets a hamster T.T But as on now, I have about 70 dollars, and this seems decent for that price range.

Anyways, I wanted to know if anybody had anything to say or note on -this cage-.

Too small for two girl rats? Should I prolly take out the wheel? Are they goung to prolly chew their way out, and do you think the hole they have to hop through to get to the next level is silly or good?

Do you know of any better cages for my current price range, give or take $10?

Sorry, might be obvious, but I want to be prepaaaaaared (and know if I have to make another 35 bucks to get a nicer cage) ^^'

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That's just barely big enough for two, I believe, but something deeper would likely be best for running around room.

Check Craig's List and used item stores... sometimes you can get lucky. :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's the cage I use, it's not the greatest cage in the world but it works. I took the wheel out because my Sam I Am never used it and it just took up space.
If you want a better cage for $70ish you should look on craigslist though.

Here's how I have Sam's set up.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
SammyNova said:
That's the cage I use, it's not the greatest cage in the world but it works. I took the wheel out because my Sam I Am never used it and it just took up space.

I'd replace the little tiki hut with something else, personally. I had one when I came here as well, but they were right when they said they aren't good to eat, and they suck up urine and such. :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Forensic said:
SammyNova said:

I'd replace the little tiki hut with something else, personally. I had one when I came here as well, but they were right when they said they aren't good to eat, and they suck up urine and such. :)
Not to mention they consist largely of pine...:(

·
Registered
447 Posts
For 70 dollars u could easily get alot better cage then the petsmart one. Im not sure if ur up to building a cage but if u r it costed me about $30 to make a cage 3ft tall by 2ft wide. If u wanna build one use coated hardware cloth for the wire walls and such. find a pan or plastic buckets of some sort for the floor. I used alluminum to make my floor. U can use wood for the frame of the cage. with 70dollars u could be able to make a nice do it urself cage big enough for many rats and even buy a few nice toys. I make rope toys out of strips of fleece braided together (like the dog toy ropes) for homemade igloos i just use a plastic ice cream bucket with a door cut smoothly into it with a knife or scissors. For entertainment u could buy cat toys (balls bells etc) Good luck Remember being creative will always make u and ur rat happier. peace : ) -Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.