Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this rat pregnant? From everything I’ve seen and read I’m pretty sure she’s pregnant and about to give birth any time now but I just wanted some confirmation from more experienced rat owners. Thank you for any help!
White Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Organism Whiskers

Window Beak Rodent Fawn Whiskers
White Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Organism Whiskers
Bird Wood Small animal food Beak Liquid
Head Eye Light Felidae Beak
Window Beak Rodent Fawn Whiskers

Bird Wood Small animal food Beak Liquid

Head Eye Light Felidae Beak

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
She looks like she could well be. Has she been in with a male in the last couple or so weeks? Is she still sharing a cage with other rats?
You could set up a birthing cage for her just in case she is pregnant. Once they start to show, they have the babies within a week.
Here is a link how to do the cage:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! She was purchased from a pet store about a week ago so she could have been in contact with a male but I’m not sure. I had her housed with 2 other females but as soon as I noticed she may be pregnant I put her in her own tub.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well all the best and keep us posted!
She and the babies will have have a safe home now.
If you haven't experienced a rat giving birth before, you might find these links helpful. One is what to expect for a normal labour/delivery and one is about labour emergencies.
Most rats seem to do just fine having their babies but its good to know when to be concerned.
I am not a breeder or anything but we had accidental babies about a year and a half ago.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Awww congratulations on the babies' safe arrival.
They look comfortable in their nest.
It looks like they have some really good milk bands - those white stripes across their tummies which are actually tummies full of milk!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts