Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on etsy and came across a vendor called adorable designs, aka raining rats rattery. They have two kinds of foods for sell for rats. Does anyone know if they are nutritionally complete. Is this a reputable breeder? My rats currently eat oxbow and fresh food daily with that. Really just looking for a boredom reliever that isn't horrible, rather than getting rid of the oxbow completely. But I didn't want to give them something bad for them either. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
What a coincidence! I wanted to post about that too. I already bought it though, and received it a few weeks ago. I wasn't going to use it exclusively though, just as something to add variety.
I haven't tried it yet.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
This is what I got. it comes with instructions. However it just says to cook it like rice, not sure if she meant white rice or brown rice. I will email her to make sure.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, that's really what I wanted also. Well let me know if they like or not. There was a person here that used to sell food. It sounded wonderful. But I guess they had some difficulty with a child' birth and are not making food anymore. This doesn't sound as healthy but had a lot of variety. I will prolly try some too. Good luck.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You can also look up the shumanite diet and try mixing up some of that. I use some as a supplement to my rats' lab blocks. My mix contains rice (brown and white), oats, barley, millet, buckwheat, and a small amount of sunflower seeds. They get this daily in addition to their blocks and really seem to like it. I do not cook it, but serve it dry. I do not add protein to it, as they already get that in their lab blocks.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
It's most likely an unbalanced mix nutritionally, but would be fine as a treat.

Oxbow and veggies is a very good diet :)

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
RAINING RAT RATTERY: Adorkabke Design Pet - AAAR Rat Mush

I will look at each ingredient and with NutritionData figure out if it nutritionally balanced, and what vitamins/minerals if any are missing/unbalanced.

The problem is that all the nutrition data available in scientific research (I researched the topic extensively) are based on pregnant/nursing rats or lab rats, So it is not perfect either.I once emailed Oxbow to ask for the nutritional analysis of their Oxbow Regal- never heard back from them.

Right now my rats get Oxbow Regal, a salad mix composed of 8 to 12 different veggies, greens, beans, fruits, little seeds or nuts or flax seed oil. When I'm out of salad for them, I give them some green mush with baby oat cereals, water, wheat germ, sometime nutritional test and pollen.

In my opinion Oxbow is the best commercial rat food out there. The problem is that none of its ingredients have pretty much any nutrition left in them but calories. All the vitamins and minerals are non non-food based (most likely low quality). It is like you eating only bread made out of a few grains that have been so processed that pretty much no nutrition is left in them and popping a few low quality vitamins/minerals supplement pills to make up for the difference. That being said I still use Oxbow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts