1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I love older methods and treatments... as an old blacksmith friend told me... people didn't used to all be stupid. We worked with what we had and we got things done too.

Ivermectin was a breakthrough in it's time, but every year there were posts about rats killed by the treatment, in fact there was one not too long ago. Some may have been overdoses, and some may have been rats that were allergic to it, who knows?. Revolution is safer and hard to overdose. It's about $16.00 to $19.00 per tube. I get mine from a vet that doesn't treat rats. Mostly they like to meet and even play with our rats when we bring them in, but they don't "see" them so there's no office visit charge. They write the script and sell me the medicine in the waiting room. Technically, it could be for mite prevention because my rats go outdoors, the same way it's used on dogs or cats so there's no need for a diagnosis.

There may also be some on line sources... Yes, I recall that it felt somewhat daunting to get revolution without a vet visit charge, but with the help of a very charismatic rat and a little out of the box thinking, I used the fact that most vets didn't see rats to my advantage... Many people who treat with revolution have found their own workarounds.

Best luck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
In my opinion it is difficult to get the proper dosage with horse ivermectin. The entire tube is intended as a single dose for a horse and the ivermectin can be unevenly distributed throughout the tube, so it is recommended to empty the tube and mix it thoroughly to get the ivermectin evenly distributed before dosing. Many people do get good results this way, but as Rat Daddy says some people have trouble with it.

Ebay sells Revolution in 3 tube packages and Amazon has small animal dosages of ivermectin available in a product called "beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On". Both of these products are topically applied.

My biggest problem is figuring exactly how to properly apply topical doses. I simply can't get a rat to hold still for long enough for separating the hair and getting it applied to the skin. I think orally dosing would be easier, but I hesitate to dose my rats with the problematic (in my opinion) horse dose ivermectin.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EBAY! Thanks for that. I never in a million years would think to look on there. I wasn't too keen on the stuff I linked, now I don't have to get it. Thanks so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts