Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man am I full of conflicts...

I had spotted a cheap used cage on kijiji, perfect size and only $50

So not to long after it was put up, that great cage poofed into someone else's hands before we could contact the person about it.

I did some looking, and nobody has good cages. I keep seeing these tiny little cages being showed as "Perfect for rats", and they could probably only hold one small hamster. Why??

I saw a great big ferret nation cage for $200, man would I love to buy that, heck I could more than two rats with that thing. Too expensive for me though.

The petsmart cages are too expensive. And aren't even good.
I'd order online but theres not enough time to wait for it to ship here unless it could for sure be here before friday. There no other pet stores that sell any decent rat cages around ottawa.

I dont know what to do, my last resort is to wait for another decent cage to pop up in the kijiji ads.

Moneys real tight on both sides, My dad well... he just doesnt care. My mom is willing to pay about $50 for a cage, and I currently have $40 saved up

Ugh this is so difficult. maybe im just too poor for this what was I thinking lol... :/

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would possibly think on holding off on the rats if money is tight at the moment ^.^ Though they seem to be easy pets I would put a starter $ at about $200 for cage, toys, food, rats etc and have at least $300 saved up in an emergency vet fund for any future unforeseen situations!
The cheapest cage that I know of in Canada that is suitable for two rats is the All Living Things Rat Starter Kit priced at $100. It is a good size and very easy to clean!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I say don't hold off. Do your best and be proud. A great cage will come along. Too much angst and not enough go for it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd suggest looking at more online retailers not just kijiji. Shop sites sometimes have major sales on cages, and especially around the holiday season.

I was able to find my cage via price comparison websites online. For example here's one for Canada: http://www.shopbot.ca/ put in the name of the cage you're looking for and perhaps you can find a deal. Don't stop looking at kijiji, but it would be good to look all over.

Of course you can get great cages used but often times items are grabbed up before you can get one word in. Don't give up, you'll find a way if you're determined. Rats have a big upfront cost and end of life cost, so in the middle it kind of evens out (if you have healthy ratties).

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is a on-line store,,,,sells all things related to small animals, located in Brampton...called Flower Town Chinchilla, reasonably priced, have ordered from them and was pleased...web site,,,www.chinchilla.ca,,,, a ferret nation cage is not for rats, bars are to far apart,,,find a Crittter Nation cage, perfect for rats,,,I have one for my 3 boys,,,lucked outed and got a deal last year on amazon.ca,,,,,,best wishes

·
Registered
335 Posts
I believe there is a Canada Version of Craigslist also. I've gotten all of my cages there, including my current Double Critter Nation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't do any online shopping, there is not enough time for it to be shipped in, and anyways what we have gathered up for this is cash. Plus I can't find anything good in the right price range :/ I'll keep looking... maybe i can hold the thing off for a few more days, but I'm just super eager to get these guys.
The cheapest one at pet smart that has enough space for two rats is the All living things starter kit. But I've heard of rats chewing through the bottom, there's not enough bedding in the kit and that the hammock is bad because its plastic. Though I have some left over care fresh from when I had three hamsters, and my mom is offering to crochet some rat hammocks. (Just hoping I don't get chewers)
I did make a post on Facebook asking to see if any friends have rat cages, no answers yet but my cousin shared it. I also had asked my counselor to ask around if anyone she works with or knows has one. Who knows, I may get lucky with a free or cheap one. But I'll keep looking on kijiji too. So far there is a new ad for a $50 cage. Actually kind of looks like the cage from the starter kit. No levels or accessories though...

·
Registered
908 Posts
*EDIT* Just saw the post above. I LOVE bin cages. you would need the largest clear bin you can find (try to find one with a lot of floor space and a flat floor), you would also need a soldering iron (pointy kind), 1/2" hardware cloth, and either aluminum wire or zip ties and something to cut the bin with.. Many use a dremel tool. I use these for quarantine, maternity, sick bins, etc. Cut large "windows" on at least 2-3 sides and the lid. Solder holes around the windows. You then cut the hardware cloth larger than the windows... I like at least 1/2" extra on all sides. Cut off the sharp pointy bits of the hardware cloth, place it inside the bin covering the "windows" and either weave the wire thought it and the holes to attach it or use zip ties. These are lightweight and easy to clean. If you are only keeping two rats, a very large bin will be fine for that many. You can attach a water bottle to the side, hang ropes and toys, hammocks, etc. I'd make sure you have all the tools you need already though, as some of those can be pricey.

Here is a pic of the bin cage I used for some pups... I would get a larger one if this were to be permanant.

Here's a pic to show the "weaving" This is the inside of the lid. The pointy bits got cut off after the photos.

Do you have Petco stores in Canada? Their "rat manor" cage is a decent size for two rats... especially if you get females. It is all metal and they can't chew out. I found mine on sale around this time a couple years ago for $45 US. Some sites (I think petco and petsmart) have the option to order online and pick up in store... Or, in some cases, the local store will price match if you find a cheaper price on their website and can show it to them (i.e. with a phone). Prices in the brick and mortar stores are often a lot higher than online.

As much as it may stink.... I'd hold off on getting them until you can find a descent sized cage. I'm not talking huge (like a DCN) but at least something as big as a rat manor or kaytee exotics cage.. Either of those would be big enough for 2 rats. If you buy something too small now, just because of cost, you will end up paying for it later... Not only would it be cramped for the rats, but smaller cage = more smell faster. Also, you would probably want to upgrade eventually. Try to be wise with your money, shop sales locally (including thrift stores and yard sales) and look for used cages, but don't settle for something tiny (i.e. hamster sized). Also remember that an adult rat is about 8" long (not including tail) or longer, so make sure the smallest dimension of your cage (width or length) isn't smaller than that. Many suggest having the smallest dimension being the rat with the tail all the way stretched out (closer to 12-14"), which is probably a good idea in the long run. If you do end up with a smaller cage, just be prepared to take them out more often and to change the bedding and wipe down the cage more often to control odor... You would also want to get females in that situation, as males can be a little less tolerant of being close together (would probably be best to get two that were already together and getting along too). Also consider your bar spacing.. I'd go with 1/2" (not sure what that is in centimeters). This is small enough to keep even young pups inside the cage.

Also, if you do get a used cage, make sure you clean it very thoroughly. You may even want to use a bleach / water solution.

I got both of my cages new, but got one from petco when it was on super clearance (Re: $45 for the normally $95 rat manor) and the other came from ebay and was opened, but still in box... it was a bit bent up, but for only $45 for a normally $120 cage, it was worth it to straighten it out.

If you decide to wait it out for a bigger cage, I'd suggest asking everyone for Amazon (or petsmart) gift cards for Christmas, your birthday, etc. That is how I got my first DCN. I saved about $90 worth of gift cards to go towards the purchase.

Having a big cage isn't everything... If you stay on top of husbandry (cleaning, water, food, etc.) and interaction with time out of the cage, your rats will be fine. That said, consider that you will spend a good deal on start up getting water bottles, bowls, some chew toys, food, etc. Start saving cardboard tubes and cereal boxes now... Mine love those as houses and chews and they are easy to toss when soiled and basically free. If you know anyone that sews, you can ask them to help you make hammocks too, as making them is far cheaper than buying. There are tutorials online for no-sew hammocks as well, so you could try that if you find some fleece on sale. Plan on having a "house" or sleeping spot for each rat (so 2 if you are getting 2) so that they can sleep separately if you don't want to stay together.

And I know this is OT, but you may want to try to get your rats from a breeder, if anyone breeds near you.. Sometimes rats purchased at the store are sick or untame.. It can be hard for a new person to know how to deal with either and spending lots of $$ at the vet right away isn't fun. Rats from breeders can have issues too, but if they are a good breeder, their animals are usually healthier and more friendly.
Good luck getting everything ready for your rats!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.