Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted my first pair of young male rats. I'm really struggling to potty train them, and to make them trust me. One of them is fine with being held and chilling in my hood. Neither one of them will willing come out of their cage. I am trying to train them by making them come to the door for treats and making some progress in that . I want them to be able to come out of their cage on their own and explore my room and myself. Any advice ? Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
What I have always done is put them in my hoody and carry around everywhere while I'm doing stuff at the house. If in bed I put a little blanket over my legs and let them run around there. I offer treats.

there is also the immersion sticky thread which is worth reading.

potty training-put box where they go. Only use the kind of substrate that you will use as litter in them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They havnt picked a corner to use as a bathroom, they just kinda go everywhere .
I'm working on the hoodie method now, the one tries to jump out of my hoodie and when I'm in bed he just hides :/

·
Registered
479 Posts
How long have you had them? It can take a while for them to get comfortable. Rats are social but also very cautious animals, so they take a bit to see your safe. Just keep working with them, they'll come around. And I wouldn't get hopes up with litter training, but putting all the poo they poo elsewhere in the litter box, everyday i not multiple times, and adding a "pee" rock to the center of the litterbox may help. (Pee rock is just a clean garden rock. Should take up a fair chunck of the box.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
With my boys, the moment I got them home I gave them a litterbox with a little bit of soiled litter from the place they lived at previously (they hadn't used a litterbox before). From then on I proceeded to place all their poops in the box as soon as I saw them, and always mixing a bit of soiled litter with the clean one upon changing, so it still smelled like the litterbox. Within a couple of weeks there were no more poops to be put in the box, and there haven't been any since - it's been a year now. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts