Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat Quill passed today after being neutered(there were many territory issues as they got older, I had to have him and his brother in separate cages if unsupervised due to attacking one another over food and toys), it was very unexpected and the vet is still trying to figure out why and tried her best to save him but he just wasn't coming out of the anesthesia even for presenting and acting very healthy. He was barely just one year old and it hurts so much that I no longer have him with me and I do not know what to do.

He was a part of a bonded pair, his brother Olly came out just fine and so far does not seem to be too affected. But I really need to know how to help him, I am completely distraught and blaming myself for the surgery even happening, yet Olly is my main concern. He is a very territorial rat and caused some problems with Quill so I am very iffy about getting new rats and risking having to keep them separated as well, I don't know if the surgery will help and only time will tell that but I am just so concerned I want to do the best I can because I know I favored his brother due to his cuddly nature and I hate it. And I can not do the smelling Quill to help him overcome it as he has already been sent to the cremation place and I did not know that was an option as these were my first rats.

I'm only 19 and I have severe depression and anxiety and everyone around me doesn't know how to help. I miss Quill so much and it has only been 13 hours but I know Olly is going to need me if anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,257 Posts
Hi and welcome, and I'm so sorry I didn't see your post. Do not blame yourself, it's always a risk with any surgery, for animals and people too. Rats need company, so finding a cage mate for Olly is important. If you could adopt a pair of young girls, he might not be so territorial. The grown fixed boys usually take to girls pretty good. Or you could contact a small animal rescue and see if they have an adult girl. I wish the best for you and understand your stress and anxiety and depression. Talk about this with anyone who will listen, it will help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did just that today! The place I got my boys from originally had a set of dumbo young girls and they have never had female rats before so I knew it was meant to be, they have the exact markings I was looking for in a rat before I fell in love with my boys all that time ago. So far they’re sniffing each other through the cages and trying to groom one another and the girls are just adorable so he’s not alone anymore. My parents got me a pillow with Quill on it to hug when I need to amd I’m keeping it in the room with the rats since I brought kore comfortable stuff down here so I could spend more time while olly healed. I moved my school and gaming set up down here so I can stay down here longer too to make sure they are all okay :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I did just that today! The place I got my boys from originally had a set of dumbo young girls and they have never had female rats before so I knew it was meant to be, they have the exact markings I was looking for in a rat before I fell in love with my boys all that time ago. So far they’re sniffing each other through the cages and trying to groom one another and the girls are just adorable so he’s not alone anymore. My parents got me a pillow with Quill on it to hug when I need to amd I’m keeping it in the room with the rats since I brought kore comfortable stuff down here so I could spend more time while olly healed. I moved my school and gaming set up down here so I can stay down here longer too to make sure they are all okay :)
Hi and welcome.
Congratulations on your new girls. I hope they and Olly become great friends. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts