Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so some of you might know I picked up two rats on Monday that were infested with bugs. I treated them and they are fine. I treated all my other pets just in case. I was incredibly careful to make sure I didn't contaminate the other rats, but since yesterday Peanut Butter is itching like crazy. Literally nonstop. Twice as much as the rats I rescued when they were covered in bugs. Her eyes are literally crusted with red discharge and I just don't understand. Yesterday she was fine and even if a bug did get on her there is no way it multiplied so fast to make her entire body itch like crazy. Is she having an allergic reaction to the Advantage? I think she may have gotten some in her mouth by licking herself but I didn't think anything of it until now. Now I'm really concerned.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My dad doesn't think any got in her mouth. I just woke him up and it's 3 am here and I am panicking. This came on so suddenly. Her eyes crust over with discharge (forget how to spell the real name) and she will groom it off but it bad. She is doing nothing but scratching herself. Literally nothing else. If she eats she does it will scratching. She hasn't even tried to sleep. I've been watching her for hours now. I know she didn't come into contact with the bugs or with anything new food wise. But my dad doesn't think it was the advantage either. What is wrong with her? What do I do?

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Which type was it? What were the medicinal ingredient(s)? I have only heard of one type of Advantage being safe for rats - but that is a rather oldschool insecticide and many are resistant to it now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh god my dad threw the box out. All I know is it was the one for small cats 5-9 pounds but we obviously did the math and made sure the doses were appropriate for the rats depending on their weight and we weighed them. None of the other rats are bothered only Peanut Butter. Idk what else it could be though. She's a very old rat. Are they any other illnesses that could cause strange symptoms like this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts