Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my rats seems to be a bit itchy. From what I've read it's very unlikely to be mites because they aren't really common where we live. (high altitude, low humidity) However those same attributes might be what's causing the itchiness. I have a little weather station thing on my desk and according to it the current humidity is only 21% with the high 23% and the low 16%, so it's very dry in the house. From what I read a "healthy" humidity is between 35-50%. Does anyone else live in the high desert like this? Are your rats itchy? If so does adding a humidifier help with their itchiness?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
While mites may be uncommon, it is possible any bedding or stuff you use is made elsewhere and shipped there right?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. But one of my guys, Tempy, is not very itchy. It's mainly the other 3. Is it possible for one rat to be immune to mites?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Not immune but rats can be infected without ever showing symptoms. Best bet would be to pick up some kitten strength revolution from the vet and give them all a dose. You will also have to be very diligent about cleaning their environment on high heat as mites can live on bedding etc. In the future, you can freeze bedding in advance of using it to prevent another outbreak. Revolution is good for lice too. If you aren't sure that it is parasites, you can try removing things in the cage that may be irritating the rats and see if the itching improves. Look out for scabs and fur loss.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None have scabs, hot spots or fur loss. That's another reason I'm reluctant to assume it's mites. But all of them seem to be itchy. Tempy a lot less then the others, but he itches a bit too. I think I'm going to try putting a humidifer in their room and just see if it helps. If not I'll try treating for mites. Din't want to give them medication for someting the might not have.

·
Registered
33 Posts
None have scabs, hot spots or fur loss. That's another reason I'm reluctant to assume it's mites. But all of them seem to be itchy. Tempy a lot less then the others, but he itches a bit too.
I've only had rats for a little over a week. How do I know how much scratching is 'too much' scratching?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts