Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my rat has had [ever since i have had him] these little scabs all over his body which make him itch. they end up being all bloody because he just can't stop scratching. the thing is whenever he crawls on my bare skin and his nails and feet rub on my arms, i become itchy where ever he crawls! what is the problem? i need help please!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sounds like he has some kind of parasites crawling around his skin. Take him to the vet as soon as you can. Also, it could be that you're allergic to the pee that gets stuck under his claws. Many people are, myself and my fiance included.

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly my rat is on his own. But once he passes over Rainbow Bridge I have no doubt in my mind that I will buy them in a pair for sure. And about the itchy thing should I buy him dog/cat flea itchy stuff or what I am kind of confused.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Revolution is the only cat/dog (actually, the puppy/kitten version is best) treatment that I'd recommend. The reason being, what your rat likely has is mites, not fleas, and just flea treatment won't help. That, and sprays, dips, etc, aren't really recommended due to possible health risks.

Invermectin is an oral paste, or an injection (paste is better, I think)... which like revolution, you can get from the vet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i just got back from the vets myself for one of my rats who had a similiar problem. my vet recommended revolution also, the cat kind but in very small doses she says, getting more specific instructions on it soon. the way you described it sounds exactly like my ruby. vet check up and some drops should do the trick. gl ;] price for the revolution from my vet is 30$ usa, so you have an idea what to expect. not sure about the check up price because my vet charges a lot for rats compared to most places.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ratlover4everrr said:
Sadly my rat is on his own. But once he passes over Rainbow Bridge I have no doubt in my mind that I will buy them in a pair for sure. And about the itchy thing should I buy him dog/cat flea itchy stuff or what I am kind of confused.

Ivermectin is a horse wormer and Revolution is a dog/cat medicine. Both can be used in rats when used correctly. Check out the links I showed you. Is your rat old? I think you should consider getting another pair now. If you get two young males you might be able to introduce them to him. That way, when he passes, you'll have the two young males still and he'll have had companionship for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts