Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow rat folks. I've been part of this forum for 5 or 6 years but didn't post much. I plan to rectify that. I really don't like those post counters, they don't really tell anything about a person. I hang out in an art forum a lot and when a person is a new member people think they're new to art and treat them accordingly when in fact that new member might be an experienced artist. I only have a few posts under my belt here but I'm neither new to this forum or rats. We've had, by my count, over 200 rats over the last 12 years. The mot being 78 at once. I had 11 at the time, then I went into a pet store just to see what they had. I know a lot of folks have had that urge. Anyway, they had two beautiful little Himalayans to be used as snake food, which I despise, so I bought them just to save them from snakes. Both were pregnant, usually ourrats had litters of 8 to 11, just my luck, one of these girls had 19 and the other had 18. We had cages all over the house. It took me about 6 months to find homes for them. Rats are my favorite pets, period. I don't have to tell folks here why.
For a time I got down to only two but am acquiring more, I like to keep 4 or 5 females and 4 or 5 males. Usually the males are my wife's and the girls mine. At least one goes with me whereer I go, unless the weather is wrong for it.
We also have4 worthless mutts, my cat, my parrot, my dove, and 3 ferrets. I'm 59, retired, 3 grown kids, and 3 not grown grand kids. We volunteer our time to a local non pofit agency where I each parenting classes to people who have had their kids removed from the home by the legal system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Wow, that is a lot of rats! But awesome as well!
The most I ever had at once was 13. Although when I had those 13, at that time we had 86 animals including 15 dogs, turtles, birds, fish, cats, rabbits, chickens, iguana's and ferrets. It was chaotic lol but I loved it. That was about 6-7 years ago.

Right now I just have 2 rats and 2 cats. No kids, just my husband and I and our fur babies.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I feel you. I started out with me adopting two, a female gave gave birth to 16 (18 rats then), found homes for all except four babies so I've had six forever rats, and now my two baby boys (who will be forever sweeties). I lurked here for years

·
Registered
38 Posts
gms9810, sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge about rats! I can't imagine having as many as that at one time, but it's cool that you have. Rats are such wonderful animals--so smart and they all have different personalities. My Louise has a memory to rival anyone. She forgets nothing, ever. She has cataloged everything inside our apartment and notices any changes instantly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On an urge, I went into the local pet store today, just to see if they had any unusually marked ones. Dumb idea. I came out with two. I need to stay out of that place.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi gms sounds like you have quite the household! I have 15 rats currently. Had 3 girls, which turned into 15. :) We've had rats for the last 20 or so years.

Back when I was younger we ran a ferret rescue, we had on average of 100 ferrets run through the shelter a year. My 3 human girls got to grow up with the shelter and I think it was a great experience for them all. The all grew into animal loving adults.

Currently we have our rats, a husband, my youngest daughter who's going to college is living with us, a conure, a starling, 2 old dogs and 3 chickens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had about 3 paragraphs written and lost all of it. I'll post some of my rats over he next few days, trying to remember what I was going to say.
Skin Rat Nose Eye Hamster

This is Charlie, He was one of my wife's favorites. He was a rescue, some little girl to a barber's sheers, the electric ones, and tried to shave him. He had nicks and bloody spots all over. When we got home My wife wanted to take a nap. To help in bonding she put him on her pillow. She slept for 3 hours, when she woke up he was still right there still snoozing. They were inseparable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
1 - 10 of 10 Posts