Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I am sick to death of people judging them by their colour. When I got Rupert & Arthur, all I heard were "awwws" and "aren't they just so cute". B&J are agouti in colour and bigger but are by far the sweetest little boys ever. I dunno, I'm just so angry at people for judging them purely by their colourings. Rupert & Arthur are more likely to bite you quite honestly but no no, apparently B&J look like "drain rats who'll give you diseases".

I just :( This is truly and honestly why I try to home to most least desirable animals (black cats/scruffy animals/older etc) because I just know a lot of humanity will judge them and they all deserve homes. It just really upsets me I suppose, its precisely why I choose animal company over human company any day!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Agouti's are beautiful!! I love my agouti boy, he went outside with me to see my daughter off when her dad came to fetch her and he said oh I could have got you one of those rats from the gutter!! I was so angry grrrr.

I remember when I was a kid going to choose a cat. I took the ugliest tortoiseshell cat and told my mom I had to because 'he's so ugly no one else will want him' To me he was beautiful.

I haven't seen the pics of your new boys. Are they in meet my rat section? I had a **** of a week last week and wasn't on site as much as usual.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you've just found their welcome post! I'll be sure to get some more pictures of them when they're out tonight! They were so cute I got distracted haha! I love agouti, they're just precious.

See thats like me. Our two male cats were black and found as kittens in a dustbin. By me, black cats really are picked on so I had to take them! They're my angels now.

Hope this week can be better for you sweet!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I understand completely! When I told my friends I was getting rats, they were all 'Eeeew!' The rats I adopted are fawn with white patches. After showing (extremely blurry) photos to my friends, they were like 'Oh that's not too bad. I thought you were going to get one of those brown ones.' I mean, I don't know. Seems a little racist to me? ;D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is like animal racism! I don't see a fur colour, I see temperament and intelligence and general behaviour. This is why so many animals are in shelters, people buy for looks not personality and end up throwing them in an animal home. I think I just don't like 90% of human beings haha :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
Haha I had the exact same response from my ex who hates rats. He was like - oh, they're kinda cute because they are white and don't look like sewer rats. Now that they have grown he's even less keen - they're too big and their teeth are gross apparently. I managed to get him to gingerly pet one, but he rushed off to wash his hands immediately! My poor babies are not diseased! lol :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha I had the exact same response from my ex who hates rats. He was like - oh, they're kinda cute because they are white and don't look like sewer rats. Now that they have grown he's even less keen - they're too big and their teeth are gross apparently. I managed to get him to gingerly pet one, but he rushed off to wash his hands immediately! My poor babies are not diseased! lol :D
Oh gosh ha!! My 9 year old niece came over on Saturday because she "loves rats" even though shes never seen one before. She wouldn't even touch them at first, then she freaked out about the tails... 2 hours later she was keen on having one. I told her when shes old enough and earning her own money, I'll get her a complete set up. So I have a good 9 years :p haha!!

Big just means more to love!
Agreed!!! More to cuddle haha.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That reminds me of this video I watched of a little girl being paid $5 to touch a pet rat in New York. I've never seen a person look so sulky while holding $5!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha oh my!! Its weird because my niece will happily stroke a bee but freaked out at a rat, I know what I trust most with my hands ha! We got there eventually and set her iPhone background as a picture of them, what a sweetie! She even asked to come back next time and help make their lunch (their salad haha!). Educating Birmingham one child at a time ha!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I see you've just found their welcome post! I'll be sure to get some more pictures of them when they're out tonight! They were so cute I got distracted haha! I love agouti, they're just precious.

See thats like me. Our two male cats were black and found as kittens in a dustbin. By me, black cats really are picked on so I had to take them! They're my angels now.

Hope this week can be better for you sweet!
Thanks! I love black cats :) poor babies being dumped in a bin!

·
Registered
874 Posts
It is like animal racism! I don't see a fur colour, I see temperament and intelligence and general behaviour. This is why so many animals are in shelters, people buy for looks not personality and end up throwing them in an animal home. I think I just don't like 90% of human beings haha :D
Ditto!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ugh! Some people. Our babies are probably cleaner than them :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
I hate the negative associations with rats too. It makes me angry and I feel like I'm constantly having to defend my babies and my decision to have them as pets. My best friend won't even look at pictures of my babies because she says "rats are gross" and they'll give her nightmares just to see the pictures. What's weird is that she loves my gerbils and thinks they're adorable and always wants to hold them if she comes over. But she can't even look at the rats? Makes no sense! It's just really frustrating to me because I can't even really talk to her about them. I can't brag about cute things they've done or show her cute pics I've gotten. I'm really isolated with my enjoyment of my sweet babies. Really the only people I talk to anymore about my rats are my online rat friends.

I don't know what can be done to change the perceptions and stereotypes, but it's really sad that rats get such a bad rap.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ah little bird that's so sad that your friend feels that way!! My mom didn't like rats, but she always looked at my pics and said she's glad I enjoy them. I'm fortunate in that my husband loves them too. My first husband didn't he was so cruel he wanted to give mine and our daughters first ratty to the cat to play with instead of taking her to the vet. Well we didn't but he said it front of my daughter and she has special needs to boot.

Hopefully you'll soon have a friend in person who can share your love for ratties, until then we have the forums and tons of people worldwide who love and share our passion for our babies. We also just go on educating people about what awesome pets they are.

·
Registered
955 Posts
To be fair on my ex, he grew up in Nigeria where the rats are huge, diseased and scary so the fear is ingrained in him. It was quite an achievement that he petted one at all! Just as well we are just friends now. Not only does he dislike rats, he's also allergic to cats! It would never have worked haha!

·
Registered
874 Posts
To be fair on my ex, he grew up in Nigeria where the rats are huge, diseased and scary so the fear is ingrained in him. It was quite an achievement that he petted one at all! Just as well we are just friends now. Not only does he dislike rats, he's also allergic to cats! It would never have worked haha!
Okay so some people have good reason.... Good step in the right direction then that he even petted one :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts