Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive had such a hard time the past few months everyone. Lost my old guy Sergi and its seriously affected me everyday that I cant even bare to talk about him. Anyway, im needing advice on my little hermaphrodite rat Cuddles, another heart rat of mines. when I got him (I call cuddles him for easiness lol) he was a rescue, so skinny and dying. with help from the vet we brought him round and hes such an amazing rat. The most human rat I have if that makes sense, the personality on this we guy is just amazing. I love him so much. I wasn't sure what age he was so I guessed that he was roughly a year so that will make him about 2 and a half now. Hes not had an easy life. His last owners were bad to him and left him with a tumour which the vet removed when I got him. The past few weeks alls hes done is sleep, I have a feeling that he has HLD like sergi as he falls over when he cleans himself and his legs are starting to drag. Now, I thought that this was old age, but the more he sleeps the more im concerned. He is sleeping an excessive amount. Cuddles and I spend every waking possible minute together (apart from when I work) he even sleeps in bed beside me lol. He has been really clingy lately, I cant even go to the toilet without him panicking about where im going. There is something way wrong here. I picked him up yesterday and felt something wet underneath, I had a look and on his genitals (bearing in mind he has a vagina and a penis) the opening of his vagina had like puss coming out, a white discharge and around the opening his fur is a dark dried in colour. I wiped it away and ive given him some metacam and septrum antibiotic. Its not made much of a difference, when I pick him up he flops. Im taking him to the vet when it opens in the morning as its a sunday here but I just have this awful feeling it may be to late and the vet wont be able to do anything for him. Ive researched and found that it may be a genital infection that may require an emergency spay, but he wont even survive surgery at this point. I don't think I can handle the pain of losing another one of my babys. On top of this 4 of my other rats have respiratory infections and are on antibiotics and other medication, one of my girls has a long term bladder condition and shes been on antibiotics for a good few months (had surgery and everything). Its hard rescuing rats, especially ones that have illnesses other people cant be bothered to deal with. I love all of my rats so much. Cuddles is a different type of love merely because he sleeps in bed with me, prefers to be on his own and its like we have this relationship nobody could understand. Sorry for the poor grammar in this post, im really tired and just exhausted. Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts