Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm going to complain about something I come across all the time, and it really really pisses me off.

It's that forum post or Youtube comment or any kind of medium like that, where someone explains how their pet (especially small animals like rats) has been injured or is sick, and they don't have the cash to take it to the vet and they need help.

I understand that vet bills are expensive, but honestly? I see this kind of post so frequently and I'm sick of it. I feel like people just stumble into a pet store, buy an animal and THEN consider the cost and responsibility of keeping it. I would never ever EVER buy an animal unless I was prepared for. That means I've done the research for the proper housing, feed, handling, toys, etc. AND I have money already set aside in case the animal needs to be taken to the vet. I always thought that those things were common sense, but apparently not.

In my mind, if you can't afford to properly take care of an animal, you shouldn't have it. Simple as that. Animals are living beings, and by purchasing them and bringing them into your home, you are making them totally dependent on you for their survival. They're like tiny, cuter, better versions of children. To bring an animal home and force them to live with you and not be prepared or able to take them to a vet when they get sick seems borderline cruel to me.

You have to think of the animal's well being before your own. No matter how badly you want that pet (be it a cat, a dog, a rat, a snake, a buffalo, or whatever tickles your pickle), you can't just buy one because you want it. It's alive, and it has needs, and emotions, and it feels pain.

Ok, I'm done now. Hope I didn't piss anyone off. xP

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unfortunately many people do that. I have had pets, usually cats, all my life and don't usually anticipate vet bills. Heck, I don't anticipate doctor bills for myself. I will ALWYS find a way to get the help I need. Luckily I have found a solid vet who works out payment plans. In my fantasy world my little ones will always be healthy. It's the way of the world. Live and let live as there is not much you can do except educate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree for the most part. I believe people should be able to afford at least basic vet care, but beyond that, I don't look down upon people who can't afford hefty medical bills.

Some people - myself included - live paycheck to paycheck and literally cannot save any money. But, as long as they are people like myself or Verucasdad, who try their hardest to take care of their pets and would do whatever it took to try and get the funds to make it work, I don't mind.

There are also a lot of owners who have plenty of money to spend but don't. Because they don't want to, or more often than not, they feel they their pet (especially the smaller/exotic ones) are disposable.

My cousin used to own rats, and when her first rat got sick, both she and her mother couldn't care less. When Cleo finally died, they just went and got another one. They did the same thing with their dog, her 'excuse' being "Why should I waste money on a vet?" this coming from a woman whose household income was a minimum of 120k a year, mind you.

Anyways, that's all I have to say on the matter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
THAT'S IT! Augustine, you hit it. Don't get upset with the people who at least TRY to get to the vet. Living paycheck to paycheck does not preclude me from having a furry baby. As I said in the past, a bill just will be a little late so that my babies get what they need. People buy cars all of the time and don't anticipate repairs. The same with houses. I guess I'm saying that there is no absolute. Heck, some people shouldn't have children.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you guys are missing my point (or I probably didn't explain it correctly xP). I'm not looking down on people who don't make a lot of money. I'm in university right now, and I'm probably broker than either of you. xP BUT I still managed to save some money up before I got my rats in the event they had to be taken to a vet. My problem is when people aren't prepared for it at all.

You both seem like you have a plan in place in case your pet gets sick, which is fine! It annoys me when people just run out and buy an animal and THEN consider to cost of caring for it. Or they try to use not having the money as an excuse for not caring for their pet properly, and don't even try to make things better for their pets because it's inconvenient for them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this issue. I get annoyed by people who have pets and never have the money to provide veterinary care for them, and are aware they don't have the money when they get the pets. For instance, I have seen a number of people who would obtain multiple cats and/or dogs and never even get them a single rabies shot because they cannot afford basic veterinary care or think that routine rabies shots are for rich people.

However, I realize that especially in today's economy, a lot of us are living paycheck to paycheck but still want an animal companion and the health/mental health benefits of having one. Even if you have money saved up for vet bills, all it takes is losing your job, long-term unemployment, illness, and other catastrophes for the rug of your savings to be ripped out from right under you. I think we need vet care to be more accessible to people in these situations.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I get that sometimes things happen that can't be planned for... BUT those people who herp-derp into a pet store and buy a pet without considering the long term costs, care, commitment or even say those people who don't know what the species requirements are before they buy it make me so mad! I've been in a pet store picking something up and overheard people relying solely on a pet store employee for the animals care/stuff it needs without ever having researched- without having even planned on bringing an animal/that species home! I mean there are cases I understand getting in the store and knowing the animal and falling in love or going home to research or whatever ect ect but come on people, animals aren't toys! >.<
Thanks for this post RattieFosters, that was a stress-relieving rant

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have to admit that getting my lovelies was an impulse purchase. I am almost 50 though, so getting up to speed cage wise, food wise, and all that was more instant for me. I sure learned quickly about rats and now, when talking to non-rat people, I sound like a pro. The ones that get me are the people who buy bunnies and chicks on Easter. I made a commitment to myself that I would ALWAYS find time for my girls, all four of them (including the cats here). Personally, I can't "save" anything for a rainy day. My bills are tight. As I said, I'd sacrifice a bill to go to the vet. Thankfully mine is willing to work it out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
@verucasdad - I do see a difference with your case, considering age and having a few well taken care, of pets. Those who impulsively buy pet after pet are certainly a different breed than those in which it's a singular case- just as rescuing an injured animal really isn't the same as buying a chimpanzee. Also those people that think it's a great idea to foist an animal on someone as a "present", quite common with easter, I can't understand how anyone thinks that's a good idea

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also those people that think it's a great idea to foist an animal on someone as a "present", quite common with easter, I can't understand how anyone thinks that's a good idea
Ugh, I hate that! Our local shelter always fills up with rabbits around early summer, and I just know it's because a bunch of brainless parents went out and bought their kids a bunny for Easter, only to realize that they get quite a bit bigger than they are in the pet shop, and they're actually pretty difficult to take care of. xP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts